Hanna Hagle, Student

How strange life is. One moment you’re alive – your heart is beating, your lungs are breathing, your hair is growing. Then a moment later, you’re gone. Your body is an empty shell without a soul.

If you’re lucky, your soul leaves your body when your body is too old and too weak to hold on to it. If you aren’t so lucky, your body is simply too weak.

You weren’t lucky at all. Your soul was ripped from your body at far too young an age. You had years ahead of you, but they were all stolen from you.

And that’s just it, isn’t it? Nobody gets what was stolen from you. Had they stolen your money, your weapon, anything at all, they would have gained something. But what is there to gain from stealing another’s life? You may take another man’s years, but you cannot keep them. They will slip through your fingers like a fist of sand, and will leave you with nothing but dirty hands.

Your years were stolen from you, but you are still remembered. People may not know your name, people may not know how you looked, but we remember you.

I pray it will be enough.

--------------------------------------------

Feeling inspired? Write your own letter to the unknown soldier and join the 18,000+ people who have already contributed including Stephen Fry, Lee Child and Malorie Blackman.
Post your letter on your own Wattpad account with the tag #UnknownSoldier, and then upload it to our online memorial at www.1418NOW.org.uk/letter/new

SUBMISSIONS OPEN UNTIL AUGUST 4.