Rosie Tobutt, Student

Dear John,
I’m sure by now you’ve heard about the shelling. Don’t worry about me, I’m not too battered up. I’m sorry that I haven’t written to you sooner John, but you’ll be glad to know I’m in safe hands.
Mother wrote to me and told me the good news. You’re finally on your way to the front – my own little brother! I’m saddened that we can’t be there together, shoulder to shoulder; like in the war games we used to play as children. Do you remember? We used to make forts and when father would pretend to sneak up on us, we’d jump over the walls and try to tackle him to the ground. How we used to think father was an old curmudgeon because he fought in the Boar War!
Father will be proud; so am I. I know you were a little sceptic when I shipped off (everyone was worried you were a conchie) but now I know you were just upset to be left behind. I’m so happy that there’ll be a hero in our family.
By the by, if my handwriting looks different – neat for once – it’s because I’m dictating to a nurse. (They’re jolly kind, and Nurse Jennings, who’s writing this for me, is telling me off for being cheeky!) After this whole damn war is over and you get the so-and-so medal for bravery and valour, we can get shipped back together. Give mother a surprise! She’ll be pleased to see you – me on other hand, well I don’t like to think about her reaction, or yours for that matter. Do me a favour, John, always remember me the way I was before the war…
The final push is coming apparently, at least that’s the rumour around the hospital. I’ve never been one for praying but I hope to God that it’s true. I understand if you’re feeling a little apprehensive right now but don’t be afraid. I’ve seen what they do to cowards. Just think how noble it is to fight for queen and country … remember the rolling fields at the back of our house, mother’s barely edible cooking, father’s pipe and tobacco, Jenny Simmons’ jam, Jenny Simmons.
If you do get scared, just imagine me there beside you. I’ll be there for you, even in spirit.
You’re brother always,
George.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Feeling inspired? Write your own letter to the unknown soldier and join the 10,000+ people who have already contributed including Stephen Fry, Lee Child and Malorie Blackman.
Post your letter on your own Wattpad account with the tag #UnknownSoldier, and then upload it to our online memorial at www.1418NOW.org.uk/letter/new