Alistair Mack, Soldier

To my children yet to be born, a necessary testament.
Truth be told I am not a particularly good soldier. The Cameronians have many a finer soldier than me. I never wanted to be a soldier and pray one day, one day soon, when there is peace, I can leave this uniform behind. I dream of a safe return, no more wounds-this is my third. After R&R I’m now fit and I return to the Battalion up the line. If I don’t survive, this letter one day will set the record straight.
I dream of being reunited with my family. I long to settle down and marry (I know she will wait), have children, go back to printing, to do ordinary things, to wander about with hands in my pockets, read books and play the piano at church.
You know I was conscripted. You know I would never volunteer. Why, why would I do that when I believe all men are created equal in the sight of God. You also know my younger brother Tommy died in 1915. This letter tells the truth of his death. You don’t need permission to know the truth. It’s painful facts to write but the truth must prevail.
You know I am one of 12 children. You know Tommy, or to be formal, Private Thomas Docherty, 2nd Battalion King’s Own Scottish Borders, joined up in the summer of 14, just before the war. What timing! All he wanted was to be was a bandsman. We don’t even have a photo of him. At this time little will be said in official channels about his age or the fact that he served in France under age, served well by all accounts throughout the first year. No trouble at all. You know he was killed in July 15 but you have been told a lie as to how he died. Tommy was not killed going over the top, he did not freeze and was not shot by an officer. That would be bad enough but painfully it’s not the truth. No Tommy took another course. Tommy deserted and was executed by firing squad.
There I’ve written it down, the awful truth, a footnote to history. Tommy my underage brother deserted, to be exact –and the truth deserves exactitude- on 4th July 1915. He was arrested at the port, with no papers and no explanation. How did he get to Boulogne? I have no idea. What was he thinking? Again I have no answer. It took 13 days before he was sentenced by Courts Martial. His commanding officer wrote ‘Private Docherty is a good soldier. He is not very bright’. That’s it, a testimony of 11 words, one for every month he served in the BEF. No entries on his conduct sheet but a character and soldier of expendable value. Found guilty and sentenced to death with a recommendation to mercy, the grim fact is that some unswerving disciplinarian disagreed. There was no reprieve. Tommy was executed.
Tommy was shot at dawn. Did he have a blindfold? I have not spoken to witnesses and by now they may not recall or even have survived. I’ll find out where his grave is but in my eyes he is in heaven. I’m no longer sad, bitter or angry. I’m just numb. What a waste. You, my unborn children, would have liked Tommy. You could have exchanged more than 11 words.

Your loving dad

Private Samuel Docherty 33704
Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

--------------------------------------------

Feeling inspired? Write your own letter to the unknown soldier and join the 10,000+ people who have already contributed including Stephen Fry, Lee Child and Malorie Blackman.
Post your letter on your own Wattpad account with the tag #UnknownSoldier, and then upload it to our online memorial at www.1418NOW.org.uk/letter/new