Stephen Cleator, Tank Commander

Its been nearly 100 years, and I’m still amazed and the outstanding effort that you lads went through and sacrifice you all gave. Not just in lives but but in what you went through. I have experienced a small amount of what you have been through. Seen my friends killed and wounded but each night was back in my FOB safe behind the wire . You defended not just our shores but our whole way of life, from a bigger evil who wanted to wipe our homes of the face of the earth.

I am so proud to be in the Army, knowing that the history you made, set a standard that we will never allow to be lessened. I went to France a few months back, it was heart breaking seeing how many were killed. Looking at a cemetery and then thinking ” I have 600 lads in my Regtiment, and there are 700 lads here”.

I’m sorry we have let you all down. Your war was meant to be “the war to end all wars” but tyrants carried on doing bad things, that has required the men and women of this great Country to come to the aid and defence of those who want to live free of fear.The mark you have left and the soldiers who still remain on these battlefields will ensure that we will never forget what you have all done for all of us.

Thank you.

You will never be forgotten.

--------------------------------------------

Feeling inspired? Write your own letter to the unknown soldier and join the 10,000+ people who have already contributed including Stephen Fry, Lee Child and Malorie Blackman.
Post your letter on your own Wattpad account with the tag #UnknownSoldier, and then upload it to our online memorial at www.1418NOW.org.uk/letter/new