Alan Warner, Writer

To Papa from us all,

I put on my big thinking cap - as you are done to call it - what to write and as you know we were never two for much scribeing since school days.

I sat with the holy terrors and us trying to think up what to say to Papa – words you could carry with you and I supposed it was those things - canny observations of yours that I was of a mind I would place down on paper for you in the way of remembering home here.

The yellow charlock and the shouts of the children from the river in summer, shout what disappear – not in the wind, but like you one day pointed out to me – just when the boys have all gripped their noses together and  gone feet first into Grimmers fish pool.

And there is that smelly byre of Old Halston you make as all quick step past come Sundays and there is the tips of them weeping willow fronds dragging in the river up toward Oughtibridge. Like idle fingers was what you once said.

Me and the children are sat in the back room with the blue tablecloth on and was trying to recall things you have pointed out to us in this past year or two. Gosh - two years gone since we all went and moved up here ? ?

We are all praying when you are over there that with these things you'll be minded to think on back home and us here and gain some goodness from such thoughts. On the bad days. Just think of them calls from the river and these yellowed up fields all about us  - leasting that time of year ha ha. And we dont want you thinking just whiskered Old Haston's smelly byre when your minded of home here ha ha.

Lucy is ripe with complaints having to only write on a messy slate up at the schoolhouse so I have promised her to write a few words here with proper pen on the good paper so.

Daddy

All me and my dolls want you back very soon if you please

love you    Lucy

And Louis wants his say right here too

Dada today I saw a cat Louis x x

So there you have it husband. Carry this letter with you and bring it and yourself both  back to us.

Your loving wife always and Louis and Lucy.

Note : Returned with other chattels by Ministry.

 --------------------------------------------

Feeling inspired? Write your own letter to the unknown soldier and join the 10,000+ people who have already contributed including Stephen Fry, Lee Child and Malorie Blackman.
Post your letter on your own Wattpad account with the tag #UnknownSoldier, and then upload it to our online memorial at www.1418NOW.org.uk/letter/new