Isobel

Dear Unknown Soldier

When I was eighteen I made a choice that would change my life forever. I decided to join the army. My whole family had been in the army; my dad, uncle, brother, granddad even my great grandfather who fought in World War 1. My dad of course was delighted over my choice and supported me greatly. I was never good at anything else, so why not make my family proud. I was accepted and soon fell straight into training. I wonder if you joined the army willingly or were forced to go. If you did join willingly, did you do it for glory? Did you find the grim reality of war or conflict? Did you regret your decision when you saw the pain that people inflicted on each other?

After months of training I was sent to Afghanistan to help out in a small village. My friend Mike was there with me, he was in charge of a dog called Arnie. Arnie was specially trained to sniff out mines, so we didn’t get blown to pieces. During my time in Afghanistan I was moved around to lots of different places, some very dangerous. I saw lots of horrendous things, people causing pain, ruining lives, homeless children whose parents had been killed. I saw humanity in its cruellest form. I watched as people crumbled their life selfishly taken. I wanted to see no more, but it was too late.

I can remember the day my life changed as clear as a summer’s day. The heat was sweltering; we dripped sweat and sat down grateful for the rest. Me and mike were discussing how eager we were to go home, we never noticed one of our comrades walking off. Not  until Arnie started barking. I bolted shouting his name like a mad man. I was too late, a mine exploded. I was close so had the aftermath of the explosion. Everything was a blur from there.

The explosion left me completely deaf and scarred. For a long time I fell into the deep dark pit of despair. Eventually with help from my family I pulled through. I have been through a lot and when people talk about World War 1 I wonder whether we have learned anything from it. I wish I could ask you. In my opinion I think we have learned the consequences and are try at all costs to avoid it, but still inflict pain on each other for our beliefs whether religion or opinion.

--------------------------------------------

Feeling inspired? Write your own letter to the unknown soldier and join the 10,000+ people who have already contributed including Stephen Fry, Lee Child and Malorie Blackman.
Post your letter on your own Wattpad account with the tag #UnknownSoldier, and then upload it to our online memorial at www.1418NOW.org.uk/letter/new