So Much More

Two Years Later

Stuart's POV

I've been working as Liz's assistant (officially) for about two years now. We have been dating the entire time.

Quite a few people were skeptical about us dating and working at the same time, but we didn't care. It worked for us.

I smiled when I looked at the date. Today was a Friday. The exact Friday that two years ago Liz and I officially started dating and I had planned a romantic picnic where it all started: overlooking the San Francisco Bridge.

I was currently sorting through my inbox, when I heard a knock on the door.

"So?" Neha said in a sing-song voice as she came into the office. "You ready for today?"

I looked behind her to see Billy, Nick, Yo-yo and Lyle in the doorway. "I think so," I said wiping my hands on my jeans.

"Relax," Nick smiled. "She loves you."

"Yeah, and it's not like she is going to say no," Billy added.

"Thanks man," I rolled my eyes. "I mean, I know she is going to say yes, but I'm still nervous. Is that stupid?"

"It's not stupid," Neha sighed but was interrupted by Billy.

"You guys are already practically married. I mean you work together, you live together. What else is there?" He shrugged.

"I believe what they are missing is a ring. And a baby." Nick said.

"A baby?" Yo-yo tilted his head. "I didn't know Liz was. . ."

"She's not," I interrupted him.

"Liz isn't what?"

Billy, Nick and Yo-yo let out surprise screams as they turned to see Liz standing behind them in the doorway.

"Nothing! We weren't talking about you," Lyle stuttered nervously as they moved aside so she could come in.

"You literally just said," she started but I jumped up and pressed my lips to hers.

"How was the meeting with Chetty?" I asked once we had pulled apart.

She groaned before walking past me to her desk. I looked over my shoulder and sent my friends a relieved look. They sent me winks and thumbs up before slipping out of the office.

"Apparently some of the higher ups want to make the Google images more. . . Fun. Whatever that means," she mumbled the last part.

I couldn't help but laugh as I walked across the room and stood behind her. "I'm sorry," I sighed as I started to rub her shoulders. I leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to her neck making her smile.

"How about this," I said as I turned her chair around and sat on the edge of her desk. "How about we go out to lunch today? We can get pizza and. . ."

"And take it to the clearing overlooking the San Fransisco Bridge?" She asked.

"Of course," I smiled. I leaned down and pressed my lips to hers.

"That sounds wonderful," she sighed as she pressed her forehead to mine.

*****

With a pizza in one hand and Liz's hand in the other, we walked from the car to our favorite picnic table. We sat on the same side so we were both looking out at the view.

"I never get tired of this," she sighed as I got some plates and napkins from my backpack.

"The view or the pizza?" I smirked. She looked over at me and playfully pushed me as she laughed.

"Both," she smiled as she got the drinks out of her bag. "Did you want the Lemonade or the Sprite?"

I subconsciously put my hand in my pocket double-checking that it was still in my pocket. "Whichever," I shrugged as I pulled my hand out of my pocket and sat down next to her.

We sat and ate pizza in silence, neither one of us saying a word but neither one of us minding. When we were finished, we threw away the trash. She was about to head back to the car, but I stopped her.

"We should probably get back to work," she laughed as I sat down on the bench, my back leaning against the table.

"They'll be fine without us for a few more minutes," I said as I pulled her so she was sitting next to me. She intertwined our hands and leaned her head on my shoulder as we watched the cars below us, driving across the bridge.

"Liz," I whispered.

"Hmm?" She hummed.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked reaching into my pocket with the hand that wasn't holding hers.

"Of course," she said with a small laugh. I let go of her hand and stood up. She bit her lip when I knelt down on one knee in front of her.

She gasped when I pulled the box out of my pocket. "Stuart," she whispered with tears in her eyes.

"Don't start crying on me now, Martin. If you start then I'll start and if I start, I'll never get through this," I joked making her laugh.

"Two years ago, I was just an interning assistant who had a crush on his boss. I forced myself to remember that you were my boss, but as time passed, you became so much more."

"I knew it was against the rules, but I also knew that there was no way I would be able to forget what happened between us. I don't know if you remember this Liz, but that night we got drunk and slept together, you told me something."

"That we were going to get in so much trouble?" She asked, interrupting the speech I had spent the last week rehearsing.

I sent her a looking making her laugh. "Yes," I elongated dramatically. "But you also said that I was the first assistant who, when they promised you they'd never leave, you actually believed."

I paused as I opened the box, smiling when Liz covered her mouth. "I intend on never leaving you. I want to be by your side every day, every weekend, through every meeting, through every project, through everything."

"I will always be here for you. I will always stand up for you. I will always be on your side. I am absolutely completely in love with you Liz. I love you so much that I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Liz tucked a piece of hair behind her ear as tears streamed down her cheeks. "Will you, Liz Martin, marry me?"

"Yes," she said softly. "Of course I will!" She jumped up and pulled me into a hug. I instantly pressed my lips to hers in a passionate kiss. I pulled away and looked down as I put the ring on her finger.

I cupped her cheek in my hand and whispered, "I can't imagine what my life would've been like if I wasn't assigned to be your intern. And I don't want to."

The End.