What Did You Do?

Stuart's POV

After my talk with Chetty, I walked back to Liz's office with a smile on my face.

"Hey, can you. . ." Liz started to say when I walked in but stopped when she saw the smile on my face.

"What did you need me to do?" I asked, ignoring her questioning look.

"Can you get the final designs we chose last week down to the design programmers and see if they can start programming them?"

"Of course," I said taking the folder she was holding out to me.

"Stuart," she said as I was just about to leave the office.

"Yes?" I asked, stopping in the doorway. I smiled at her and watched as she bit her lip.

"Never mind," she stuttered. "Thank you."

*****

Liz's POV

After Stuart left, my phone started ringing. "Liz Martin," I answered.

"Hi Liz. I was wondering if you could come to my office. I wanted to discuss some things with you. It won't take long."

"Sure," I said right before he hung up. I put the phone back before standing up, grabbing a notepad and heading to Chetty's office.

I held my breath as I knocked on his door. "Come on in," he called out. I opened the door and saw him sitting as his desk, filling out some paperwork.

"Liz," he smiled. "Come on in." He gestured for me to sit down as he put the paperwork under some files.

I sat down and straighten my skirt as I waited for him to continue. "I wanted to talk to you about your intern, Stuart."

"Okay," I nodded, not sure where he was going with this.

"How do you think he is doing so far? I've noticed you've had him as your assistant longer than anyone else."

"Um yes," I stuttered, still feeling lost. "Stuart is great. He's a hard worker and is always willing to help out."

Chetty hummed as he grabbed the paperwork he was working on earlier. "Do you think he would do well here? Full-time?"

"I believe so," I nodded. He looked up at me and smiled. He took his glasses off and leaned forward.

"Liz," he said not looking away from me.

"Yes, Mr. Chetty?" I said, starting to get nervous.

"I know."

My breath got caught in my throat. I quickly intertwined my fingers when they started to shake.

"Sir?"

"Liz, I know that you and Stuart have been secretly dating." He said.

"Sir, it's not. . . Well, it is but. . ."

"Liz, honey," he laughed softly. "Breathe."

I took a shaky breath as he continued. "Do you know why I hired you, Liz?" He asked catching me off guard.

"Because of my formula," I said not sounding as confident anymore.

"Well, that's why they let me hire you. I hired you because I saw your potential. I knew there was no point in wasting time having you go through an internship when I already knew we wanted, no needed you."

"Sir," I tried to explain but he just shook his head.

"I know what has been going on, but I also know that neither one of you have let it interfere with your work. Ever since I hired you Liz you have been nothing but professional, so. . . You aren't fired, Liz."