Chapter 11

Chapter 11
The Morning After
Shawn Mendes
845 Words
~

After a day of writing, I'm back in the studio in the evening. I'm doing more takes of what we had roughly recorded before Lost in Japan. I have 11 songs. No more, no less. If I add them onto In My Blood and Lost in Japan it's enough to make an album. That should come "soon" but I'm focusing on perfecting every song first. During a good session, it's about an hour of work per song so I definetly can't do everything overnight. Four songs a night is pretty justifiable. The passion, or I guess the high now, is making the time melt away. My focus is wholly on my work for as long as I'm in the studio. Andrew tried to do causal talk to me but I just gave him an odd look and continued with recording. My team caught onto this and it made them laugh which confused me. What's funny about devotion? I don't give a heck about the fact you think the weather is nice. I care a lot more about my music. That makes sense, right?
~

My chair is dragged back by Geoff and I go to protest but he takes the chance first "You've been doing way too much, time to head home Buddy." I grumble and stand, he doesn't know how I'm feeling. It's better and better the more I keep working. I look at the clock and it is truly quite late "I'll go home but you'll find me here tomorrow. Final word." He shakes his head as I get up. My team is acting really weird, maybe I'll do something about it later. Now I'm just gonna go home, eat, and sleep. The dream life. To the private eye anyways. What the outer world gets their hands on might be different. Not my problem though. Most of my team had left already so I didn't bother with goodbyes. I walked out of the studio carelessly once more. The late night disguised me again and I hopped into the first cab I saw. I coldly state my address and close the divider. I don't feel like dealing with people right now, I just want to stay steeled with my mind. The euphoria lingers and I grin all the way to my place. I pay the due amount and leave, rushing up the stairs to my apartment. The door clicks open with the swipe of my card and I waste no time getting on my bed. I check the stats on Lost in Japan briefly before changing into looser clothes to sleep in. I brush my teeth then set away my phone before collapsing on my bed. The gentle warmth ends up lulling me to sleep within a few good minutes. Usually I don't dream but tonight my imagination was wild. I was back in Pickering, sitting by a Christmas tree. An indescript woman lays beside me while my parents chase around Aaliyah. It feels comfortable, something I long to be. Comfortable with my life, my family, my job, everything. Snow falls outside while laughter resounds in the room. I smile and instinctively hold the woman beside closer to me. I still can't pick up on the details of her figure. Her face is blurry and I really don't know who she is. As much as the lack of identity bothers me, holding someone again is nice. Knowing they're safe because of me. Will I ever find that again? The only thing I'm really keeping safe right now is my career. Is that enough to keep me going? My pockets may be full but I'm afraid that my heart won't be.

~

The booming sound of thunder wakes me up harshly enough. Not long after, the sound of rain accompanies my groans of dispute. Waking up before my alarm? Seriously? I pull the sheets up to my chin and close my eyes. Maybe this was all a nightmare and I can go back to rest. Minutes pass and my hope has run short. I get up, very slowly, and peer out my window. The typical sunrise has been replaced by menacingly dark clouds. I look down at my phone to see a text from Andrew "A prefect day to work on your sad songs, eh?" I laugh to myself and send a thumbs up back. Not too many of my songs are sad but the ones that are really sting. Hope my fans don't get too heartbroken over them. Maybe they'll "relate" it to something. The storm is still relentless and the sound of the thunder is weirdly bothering me. It reminds me of the event that lead up to Lost in Japan. I did my "mandatory" counselling but how am I supposed to forget something that should've killed me and ended up hurting someone else. I get jittery and start pacing the room. They tried to, they really did, but they can't take my youth away.

A/N: Thanks for reading and remember to vote and comment! ❤️