Chapter 10

Chapter 10
The Morning After
Sarah Wilson
830 Words
~

The busy roads of Los Angeles wake me up abruptly. I look out my window to see traffic on the roads along with a bunch of people walking on the wide sidewalks. I ponder for a moment, curious about what every persons story is. It sounds creepy I know but it's interesting. One of them might be walking to their last day at work, someone might be driving to a hospital they'll never come back from but they also might be walking to their best friend's birthday celebration, someone might be driving to go enjoy life at a dog park. Everyone has their own story and I think it's important that we consider that before we act out or speak out. My story is.. interesting. It's also about to get a huge plot twist. I look up the address of the first company I'll be dropping my résumé off to before making a quick breakfast. I eat my bowl of cereal while I catch myself up with the news. It's all political, as always. I put away the dishes and skip around to my closet where I change into comfortable but professional looking clothes. I want to make a good impression but smiling while wearing six inch heels is not on my skill set. I walk back out to my front door, taking a breath. A lot is about to change and quickly at that so I try to indulge in whatever peace I have now. I smile encouragingly to myself and leave my apartment, double checking that it's locked. I figure that I'll walk down to the first place since it's not awfully far from here. It's not exactly an event paramedicine company like I originally intended but the reason behind it makes a lot of sense. A company like that would book me to one band, one play or whatever it may be and we all know how I do with long term and exclusive commitments. The building I'm just about to enter is just a venue. I'll be their medic, hopefully, and I'll provide care for whichever event is booked that day or evening. It'll constantly change and keep me excited. If I get the job. I hold my résumé a bit tighter as I walk into the grand doors. A young woman, who I'm assuming is a secretary or personal assistant, greets me and asks what I'm doing. There's no event going on so I understand the confusion. I explain to her my situation and my goal and she directs me right to the manager, wishing me luck. The small office is sleekly hidden in the venue, behind the stage. I knock on the door and a casual voice tells me to come in. The manager is also a woman who seems to be a bit older than the one I met earlier. I sit in front of her and before I get a chance to talk she asks how much time I'll take. I'm a bit taken aback from this but I lay the stack of papers in front of her regardless "I would like to work for you. I am an experienced doctor in the field of event paramedicine. I will sort out liability and insurance for you. That is my résumé and you can contact me through the email and phone number I provided. Thank you!" She seems to have quieted given my quick speech and I smile warmly as I leave the office. The secretary or PA I had seen earlier was now gone so I lead myself out. The crisp outdoor air grounds me again and I sit on a bench near the venue. I don't have anywhere else to go and I can't really go anywhere either. I only printed one copy of my résumé. Jobs are a stressful thing and one a day was plenty enough for me. Now I have my chance to explore to my hearts content. I can uber everywhere but I think that as long as the weather stays like this I'll just walk. I spend the afternoon strolling around the upper limits of the community I lived in. Everything is so new to me. I mean it when I say this is a completely undiscovered world. My lap around involved visiting many, maybe too many places and eating the most wonderful muffin I had ever held in my hands. I ended up making it back to my apartment just as the weather was calling off and the  bright sun was nearing a sunset. Just like I had promised myself on the ride here, I'm clubbing tonight. I change into tighter, slightly more revealing clothes and make my makeup just a bit more extravagant. I take in my final look and my confidence wavers. Was this really me? Was this really the future I envisioned?

A/N: Thanks for reading and remember to vote and comment! ❤️