Chapter 7

Chapter 7
The Morning After
Shawn Mendes
813 Words
~

I collapse onto my bed as soon as I get in my room, still on my phone. Sounds bad I know but there's so much on there to do! I go through my missed calls and there isn't anyone awfully important I need to call back so I move onto my voicemail. I see one that I made myself and look at it, puzzled. I start playing it and feel my heart drop slightly when I remember it's my "rehearsal" of the call I made to her while she was in Japan. I feel a hot tear roll down my cheek, only being able to imagine how it felt to be so in love with someone. My sadness turns to greed when I start thinking of what I had gained in the relationship. She got a job, she traveled the world, everything! I had nothing. That's about to change. I'm gonna have money, power and fame. I call Andrew while pacing quickly around my appartement. As soon as he answers I tell him to get everyone to meet back at the studio as soon as possible. I'm sure I'm tiring them out but who cares? They only have a job because I exist anyways. I decide to jog to the studio, burn off some of the energy I've suddenly accumulated. It's late enough at night that I don't get noticed so I get there in no time. Oddly enough, my team is already there. Don't ask me how, I don't know and I don't care. We all sit around a long table and I play the voicemail out loud. My team catches on to what I want to do with it pretty quickly and I grin inwardly. I sit with my writer and make a few other verses so it would be long enough to be a song. From that we compose the song, choose the instruments and all the preliminary production. We piece everything together in incredible time. I guess I just have this drive, this goal, this motivation now. I step into the booth and I don't leave for another few hours. It has to be perfect. The better, the richer. That's all.

~

I finish listening to the final recording around eight o'clock while my PR team sets up the graphics for the song's release. We ended up deciding that we'll use the same method that we did for In My Blood. We had a few doubts about how the lyrics of the song would portray her and I's past, current, and future relationship with each other. I figure it'll be fine because it will do me more good than harm. We're all staying here until about one or two in the morning. The teaser is going to be released at midnight and we're gonna take a few hours after that to monitor the reaction. Fans and press included. I guess I also hope she listens to it and realizes what she threw away. It was a pathetic move on her part, even if I don't know precisely why. As well, when she streams the song I make money so I can't complain about that. I channel out whatever Andrew is rambling about to the other people in the room, it's most likely about his personal life. Nothing I didn't hear about in the drive to Toronto. All I do is sit around, send the song to my family and friends and wait for time to pass. My sister gave me her usual apathetic response of "nice" making me laugh to myself. My parents and friends give more enthusiastic responses so that gives me more hope for the general public's reaction.

~

Finally, the couple of hours have slipped away and were only a few minutes away from the release of Lost in Japan. I figured the name fit factually well with the inspiration. I look at my social media that's being casted on many screens in front of me. I haven't seen anything negative yet which is good. I stop my searching when Andrew starts the one minute countdown, and we all join in on saying it with him. When it reaches 45, my nerves increase. Then 30, I'm breathing quicker. Then 15, my hands are shaking. Then zero, my thoughts stop spinning, I hold my breath and I freeze in place. Right now, the first few seconds are being listened to across the world. I keep my eyes closed for another five minutes, like I have at every release. I open them and look to Andrew first, to see him grinning at me. "So?" I ask him. "You're a musical genius Shawn, who should I make the cheque payable to?" I laugh lightly at him "Me, myself and I."

A/N: Thank you for reading and remember to vote and comment! ❤️