16 - Confrontation

Wag mag-alala

Kung nahihirapan ka

Halika na, sumama na

Pagmasdan ang mga tala

Mundo--IV of Spades

Hindi ko alam kung bakit pareho kaming tahimik habang nasa coffee shop. Ang awkward. Siguro, dapat hindi ko siya hinalikan. Baka isipin niya manyak ako. Hindi ko lang kasi talaga napigilan.

Si Abbie, nakatulala lang sa kape niya. Ako naman, hindi ko maialis ang tingin sa kaniya.

I can't help it. Not while she's sitting right in front of me, looking so pretty.

Hindi siya tulad ng mga babaeng pinapakilala sa'kin ni Raph. I've never seen her in revealing clothes or heels. She doesn't wear make-up. She walks like a boy. And talks like a 'tambay'. But she is beautiful.

Her eyes, her smile, her laugh... they are beautiful. They take my breath away, it hurts. I feel like my heart is going to explode just gazing at her. And yet, I couldn't say a word.

"Hindi ka pumasok," she finally says, breaking the awkward silence.

"Ah..." Napakamot ako ng ulo. Tumawa. "Kasi--"

"Amoy alak ka pa. Lasing ka 'no?"

"'Di ba pwedeng naka-shot lang?"

"Problema?"

Matagal ko siyang tinitigan, saka ako napailing. Pinilit ngumiti.

Hindi nawala ang bakas ng pag-aalala sa mukha ni Abbie. Although, she smiles back at me. Then she picks up a pen and starts to draw something on a table napkin. I watch her, fighting off the urge to tuck the hair that falls over her eyes behind her ear.

She pushes the table napkin towards me. It's a drawing of a bear with a sad face.

"Kahit lagi kang nakangiti, alam ko 'pag hindi ka masaya," sabi niya.

I take her hand and interlace my fingers in between hers. "I'm happy now."

"Sino ba 'yang nambubuwisit sa'yo? Tara, upakan natin?"

Hindi ko napigilan ang tawa ko. Na-imagine ko kasi na inuupakan niya ang Mama ko. "I wonder who's going to win."

Naramdaman ko na lang ang pagsandal ng ulo niya sa balikat ko.

"Bakit gano'n?" bulong niya. "Okay na'ko eh. Okay na'kong mag-isa. Pero no'ng dumating ka ba't parang... hindi na? Pa'no mag-expect ako ng sobra? Baka hanap-hanapin ko 'yung ganito... 'yung lagi kang nandiyan. Ang unfair ko na sa'yo."

I can't help but smile. For the first time in my life, someone actually needs me. It gives me a sense of purpose.

"Unfair na 'yon para sa'yo?" I scoff. "E 'di gawin nating fair."

She lifts her head and looks at me. "Pa'no?"

"I want you—no. I need you to need me."

"H-ha?"

I laugh quietly and lift her chin with my fingers. "I need you to need me. I want you to always think of me and wait for me to come see you. And I want you to miss me and be miserable for every single second that I'm not holding your hand..."

There's a hint of worry in those beautiful dark eyes. Her lips quiver.

I think I scared the heck out of her.

"Is that fair enough for you?" I ask and leaned closer when she doesn't answer. "Are you scared now? Gusto mo pa bang ituloy 'to? Know what? I'm going to give you a chance to answer. You have five seconds."