Compromise Me: Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Hannah crept up the first set of stairs, wincing as the second from the top creaked loudly.  On tiptoes, she inched past Josie's closed door, pausing for a moment to crane her neck and listen.

Nothing.

Onward and upward she went to the third floor, creeping around hers and Justin's bedroom, quickly throwing changes of clothes, extra shoes and toiletries in a large bag.  If she was lucky, she'd be out of the house before Josie and Travis noticed her.  No need to embarrass the couple without cause.  Later, she could chat with Josie about more appropriate places to seduce the love of her life.  Namely, not in her parents' house.

It was just weird.

But as she inched her way downstairs and came abreast of Josie's door again, it swung open.  Hannah froze.  

"Mom," Josie said nervously.

Hannah pasted on a pleasant, good-morning smile and turned to face her oldest daughter.  "Sorry, I tried to be quiet."

A quick peek into the room behind Josie showcased blankets and pillows all over the floor and Travis sitting on the edge of the bed tying his shoes.  Thankfully, they were both completely dressed, but by the state of their clothes and their hair and the room, it must have been a wild night.

Josie glanced over her shoulder, brightened to a vibrant pink, and hastily closed the door again.  She stepped across the landing toward Hannah.  "Nothing happened, I swear."

Hannah smiled tenderly.  "I wasn't going to ask."

"We watched movies all night," Josie added.

"Sounds like fun," Hannah said casually, switching the overnight bag to her other hand.  "Your father and I are joining Kim and everyone at the lake.  We'll be back on Friday.  I'd ask if you'd like to come with us, but--"

The door opened and Travis stood there, a faint pink to his cheeks as well.  Hannah smiled at him.  "Good morning, Travis."

He flattened his hair with a hasty palm and said, "Good morning, Ms. Hannah.  This isn't what it looks like."

"Looks like you were watching movies all night," Hannah said cordially.

"Yes, ma'am," he said, and Hannah glanced between the two.  Guilt swamped their faces, but...

But Hannah had no reason not to believe them.  Josie, she knew, was sneaky at times, but always honest.  If Josie said they watched movies all night...  Eh, stranger things have happened.

"Where's, uh, Daddy?" Josie asked, peeking toward the attic stairs.

"He's out in the truck," Hannah said.  "He's very aware of his limits right now, and he’s trying to be understanding about...about all this, but since I enforce this rule with your brother and sisters, I must do the same with you and suggest next time you two decide to have a sleep-over under our roof, you either ask permission ahead of time...or have a ring on your finger.  Deal?”