Morning

• Dedicated to Julian Tate

Morning

Waking up a few hours later, Alecxa felt happy. Today, she thought, is going to be a good day. Wondering why Dae hadn't woken her, she left her room to find her. Passing Irial's room, she heard giggling once again. Coming closer to the door, she heard Dae speaking. Anger taking ahold of Alecxa, she inhaled, knocked and entered the room. Irial was on his bed, his shirt off. He turned to Alecxa and smiled, a smile that told Alecxa he had been doing something wrong. Dae, who was by the bathroom, turned around rapidly. Without another glance, Alecxa walked to Irial. Irial sat up on the bed and Alecxa stepped into his arms.

"Did you have a good night?" Irial asked, his voice cracking.

"Yes, I dreamt about you..." she lied. "Want to know what we did?"

Coughing, Irial yelled, "Dae leave!" She stepped out of the room.

"Dae get out!" Alecxa said loudly, not taking her eyes off Irial. "Go to my room, please."

A minute later the door opened and closed.

"What did you dream?" Irial asked.

"Nothing." Alecxa said laughing. "I lied."

Irial's smile faltered a little bit. "Why would you lie?"

"I needed Dae to go to my room."

"You could've just told her." Sighing, he added, "Your Father is in his room. It was nothing but a chill."

"Thank you." Leaning down as if to kiss him, she added, "I wonder why she isn't married..."

"Your father is married..." their lips touching he said, "and he is male."

Pulling away, while Irial groaned, Alecxa said, "No I mean Dae. She is pretty and young." Irial tensed.

"She is very young."

"Not that young!" Going by the balcony, Alecxa looked out. Vendors were beginning to set their shops in the streets and alcoves. Soon their chants would be heard. "I'm younger. She is 21?"

"20." Irial said absently while putting on a shirt. "Why does it matter?"

"I am thinking of letting her go." Looking for a reaction out of the corner of her eye, she saw Irial falter.

"What?"

"I don't need her. Why do I need a personal servant?"

"You're a woman."

"Grazie, father." Alecxa said jokingly. "I don't need you to tell me what I am."

"Sorry." Irial said. "So, you want to get her a husband?"

"Yes," Alecxa nodded walking towards him. "How about your friends?"

"Please don't include my friends." Irial pleaded. "Your friends?"

"I have no male friends... but you." Alecxa said sadly. "Her mother is sick. She needs an income."

"Then don't fire her!"

"With pay." Alecxa said. "Father has powerful friends..."

"What about Marckus?"

"Too soon." Alecxa tensed. "His wife died recently." She didn't want to admit that there was another reason. A reason she could not accept.

"Oh, well maybe he knows someone."

"Irial?"

"Si?"

"Why was she here?"

"She was re-dressing my wounds."

"Oh." Irial kissed her on the cheek. "I'll meet you down for breakfast."

Irial nodded. Alecxa headed out when she noticed a parcel of clothing. A woman's parcel. Looking back she noticed Irial wasn't looking and bent down to pick it up. She was sure she had seen Dae wearing something like it. It was a strap of some kind, decorated with swirls on the edges. Standing quickly, she left the room going to her own.

Entering her room, she called out for Dae. Dae came to her and unlike back in Irial's room she curtsied.

"Is this yours?"

"Yes, patrona, thank you."

"Nessun problema. Can I just ask one thing?" Dae nodded. "Don't go into Irial's room without me."

"Yes, patrona."

"Can you help me change?" Dae nodded. "The white and black dress."

"This is a beautiful dress." Commented Dae. "I wish I had one like it."

"You may have it once I wear it." Alecxa said.

"May I?" Dae looked at her, her eyes glistening.

"Of course! I want you to order a dress." Dae nodded. "For yourself."

Dae looked at her. "Patrona?"

"I want you to order yourself a dress, understand?" Dae, stunned, nodded automatically. "Good."

Alecxa was about to tell her to get ready to go when she heard a loud banging. Looking at Dae, she jogged to the door and walked down the stairs where she found Irial's mom, covering her mouth in disgust.