Chapter 24: Consumed

I stared down at him and felt the rage inside me start to grow even more than it ever had before and I turned to look at the sword lying on the ground. Giving the man one last smirk I reached down and picked up the blade that was just out of his reach. It was heavy in my hand as I turned to face him again. The flames that burned against his back no longer seemed to be a bother to him as white smoke started to fill the air. The white vein like system under his skin started to fade quickly as an immense amount of smoke continued to fill the air until the room was completely fogged up.

Looking down at the man beneath the cross, I expected to see him lifeless, but instead, he was smiling and then he started to laugh. His voice shook the room as the cross that rested on his back started to shake. It was physically impossible for this to be happening now but then everything seemed to slow down as I continued to look at the man and he finally spoke.

"Consider that the last shot you'll ever land on me, boy."

In a flash of light, an explosion of air erupted from underneath me as I flew through the white cloud. The fog that I flew through sealed up almost instantly, while Sophie and I's parents had vanished. The benches were now gone, and the whole room had appeared vacated. All I knew was that I had the sword and that there was nothing that could stop me from killing Ash. I just needed to know where he was.

In the cloud of smoke, I saw a blur race from one side to the other then disappeared again within in the white abyss. I kept the sword at the ready with both of my hands now wrapped around the hilt, preparing to move the weapon and counter whatever Ashley had in store. Suddenly a second blast of air flew past my head. I turned to the side just as a few hairs from my head fell and then I could feel a cut open on my face.

"Consider that your one warning shot, the next time I pass you, you'll take your last breath." Ash's voice traveled through the air, but he remained invisible to the naked eye.

"Where are you, you bastard? Come out and fight me. Enough of these stupid games." I yelled out and started to spin as Ash's blur flew through the cloud.

"Why? Are you scared, or maybe worried?" The voice called out again, and the sound of a few steps running echoed out beside me.

"Why would I be worried?" I confusingly replied as I started to feel something warm rolling down my face.

Taking a quick second, I lowered my guard slightly and touched my cheek only to see blood on my fingertips. Death hadn't healed me, and every cut from now on would be real and could lead to the end of my life now that I wasn't immortal, that is if you could even call it that.

"I see you've noticed the blood; you need to understand Death can't exist here, the white smoke is a counter to his abilities if he was ever to betray me. Which in turn means it's only you and me here." The voice filled the room again as a shadow started to form in the cloud.

I pointed the sword forward and waited for it to impact me. Second after second passed as the shadow stayed the same size, it was like it wasn't moving. I didn't want to take my eyes off it even though they were starting to dry out and blur, and I had no choice but to blink, and when I opened my eyes again, the shadow stood behind the thin veil of the cloud. The point of the blade was now a mere couple inches away from whatever was behind it. My body was frozen however as I tried to swing my arms, but something told me that no matter what I tried Ash would be able to dodge it.

I tried to resist the immobilizing power that the fog had over me, and surprisingly my body started to move. I was like a concrete statue coming to life as I pulled the sword back and the shadow continued to stay there, unthreatened. Maybe he can't see me. I thought to myself before I pushed the scorching onyx blade forward. Instantly it pierced through the white veil and hit something on the other side.