Chapter 20

A couple days had gone by. No calls from Jordan, no text. Deep down I hadn't really expected him to call but I was at least trying to be hopeful.

       I had been dancing around the house in little night shorts and tiny tank tops. Hoping Larry would notice me and try something. At times I caught him looking, but he never touched.

       My phone started to light up on the nightstand next to the bed I was laying on. A number flashed I didn't recognize, so I quickly answered.

        "Hello." I mumbled.

        "Yes, hi. Is this Melanie?" I heard papers shuffling around as her small, childlike voice paused mid-sentence. "Williams." she finally spit out and I rolled my eyes.

         "Yeah, why?" I tried not to sound like I didn't want to be bothered but truly, I didn't. Hints to why I was up here alone.

         "Sweetheart, I think you should come visit your mother." She said sweetly, but I could hear her judgmental tone.

         Since when did nurses or whatever she was start calling you to suggest you see relatives in the hospital? I sat up and looked around the room, eyeing for my car keys.

          "What room?" I breathed out.

          Her voice turned excited and I heard her clap her hands together then shuffle through more papers. "235 sweetie."

          I didn't bother saying bye, I would see her soon. Hanging up and crawling off the bed to look over myself in the mirror. Glancing outside, summer was bubbling down and fall was forcing its way in.

         Groaning all the way to my closet and opening it. Searching for the thinnest jacket I could find. Finally pulling out a blue one with lighter blue stripes. One Jordan had brought me and slipped it on slowly.

          Gathering my keys and a small shoulder purse, I left the house. Easily because it appeared no one was home. Locking the door behind me I walked peacefully slow to my car. Taking my sweet time cause I was in no rush to get there.

           Getting into my car, never noticing Jordan parked on the side of my house. He got out of the car and jogged over to me before I could pull off.

          "We should talk." He said, slightly out of breath.

          "I don't have time." was all I said before trying to start my car.

          "Just a few minutes. Promise." His grey eyes were pleading but I just didn't have time.

          "I seriously can't. I have to go see my mom. Visiting hours should be over soon." I lied; visiting was open all day for patients with her kinds of injuries.

          He leaned up and rested his hand on his neck, "Oh really, how is she?" He asked timidly.

          "I wouldn't know, this is my first and last time going to see her. Now can I please go?" I knew I was being sort of mean but I just didn't know what to say to him right now. And part of me didn't want Larry to see him just in case he returned any minute now.

           "Okay, you can go." He said stepping back out of my way. "But we will talk, Mel."

          "Kay, promise....MOVE." I slightly shouted and started my car.

_____________________________________________________