Chapter 3

- Much love to xSillyCakesx for the cover on the side. I don’t proofread so sorry for any mistakes....

    I barged into the house with bags from the mall and a big smile plastered on my face around 8:30 PM. Jordan and me decided to just chill the whole day since we had nothing better to do.

    The house was dark and the only light that was on was a small lamp that was in the living room. I saw my mom's slim legs from the corner. Her leg was shaking up and down in irritation. I'm guessing since I failed to "inform her" where I was bothered her today.

    There was no way to avoid her, Lord knows that's what I wanted to do. I couldn't get to my room without going upstairs. I couldn't get to the stairs without going through the living room.

    I decided to just put my head down and walk really fast, hoping she didn't notice me. I took a deep breath and pushed forward towards the living room. I tried to use my bags as a shield so she wouldn't see my face. Yea, dumb plan...I know.

    I was halfway there when her cold voice stopped me. "Where have you been?"

    I put on my best smile and turned to face her. She had on "party" clothes. A small above the knee length leopard print dress and red pumps to match her red lipstick. Her chocolate brown hair, much like mine but longer was cascading over her shoulders in curls.

   "I was out with Jordan." I said calmly. "At the mall." I held up the bags and shook them. I must admit my voice came off just a tad sarcastic.

    She flashed her white teeth. She was smirking? I thought she was mad. I raised my brow in confusion but I didn't speak. I waited.

   "I thought I told you to inform me when you wanted to hang out." her voice was colder than before. If that was possible.

   "Sorry. I will next time." I turned on my heel and was heading for the stairs.

    "I didn't dismiss you." She shouted and banged her hand on the small table next to the tan chair she was sitting in.

    I stopped in my tracks and turned to face her. My fake smile was gone. Actually I was becoming a tad bit annoyed with her "mom" role.

   "I thought you had somewhere to be." I added sarcastically. "No need to let little ole me hold you up. You know, keep you away from the parties you so desperately want to be at right now." I smiled and rolled my eyes.

    She held her hand up and let out a loud laugh that bounced off the walls and made her sound like the devil himself. "Don't be a smart ass Melanie. It's not cute." her green eyes flickered with displeasure. She was mad and I didn't really care.

    "Sure. Are we done?" I asked annoyed

     She nodded her head but didn't say anything more. I turned around and headed for my room. I was heated and honestly I didn't even have a real reason to be. She just got under my skin. You know, like the popular girl in high school that everyone loved, except you. That's how much she bothered me.

     When I got to my room I dropped my bag and leaped for my bed. I was tired. After ten minutes I heard the door open and close. She was gone and she probably wouldn't come back and if she came back she wouldn't be alone.

     I had gotten used to being home alone, regardless of my fears or the memories. I had come accustomed to it. She was never here.

     I picked up my phone and texted Jordan.

     I'm coming over. -Signed your distressed best friend

     We had made plans to hang out tomorrow but I really didn't want to be alone. Not tonight. We only lived a block away; I could walk to him if I ever needed anything.