Chapter 2

The next day, in the office, I could not keep myself seated. My eyes wandered and so did my mind. I could not even focus during my meeting in the morning. I was a bit anxious about last night. I promised myself that I would pretend it never happened but it seemed too sketchy to just forget.

My reverie was interrupted when my secretary, Anna, knocked on the door. When she came in, she left my coffee on my table. 

"Thanks," I said, taking a sip. Then, I placed it on the table to massage my forehead.

"Are you okay, Ma'am?"

I glanced at her, "Yes I am."

"Can I do something to help?"

"I-I'm good, Anna."

Finally, she left me alone in the office room. I leaned on my desk and tried to calm myself down at the thought of last night. I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna be in big trouble.

From my office window, I see one of my employee's computer screen a clip of Gotham Daily news. Of course. The picture of a man with a complicated mask, tubes at either side, was portrayed under the label 'wanted'. My heart raced and I felt my mouth dry up. Being in Gotham for a few years allowed me to see various cases of violence on TV. But never have I ever seen anyone up close.

Before I could look him up myself, Anna suddenly spoke through the door crack. "Ms. Dawn?"

Alarmed, I move my computer monitor away from her direction. "Yes?"

"The GCPD is on the line."

"The police?" I asked. I paused for a while and closed my eyes.

"Ma'am?" Anna muttered, "Is everything all right? Should I be worried? Are you in trouble?"

"No, Anna I am not."

"Oh, okay. I just thought that I would be in charge if-"

"-Just put him through!"

She stuttered, "Yes, Ma'am."

Beep.

"Dawn speaking,"

"Ms. Dawn? This is-"

"Please do not tell me that you need me in your office?"

He paused, "Well, Yes we actually do, Ma'am. How did you-"

"I'm on my way."

I figured that I needed to know more about that tall-ass guy from last night. But I'm not telling them that I saw him, of course. Depends if he's a bad guy. 'Cos he might be actually out there to kill witnesses.

GCPD. Headquarters.

As I entered the room, a man wearing a dark, cheap suit greeted me. I shook his and his partner's hand before sitting on the couch, making sure I showed that I was not intimidated at all.

"Ms. Dawn, glad to see you. I see you're in a rush to meet with us as well. I assume you've heard about last night?"

I stuttered, "La-Last night?" I paused. "I'm sorry what am I here for exactly?"

He looked at his partner and then back at me, "What? I thought you knew. The chase? Police cars came chasing men headed towards Pine." He slid a photo across the desk for me to see, "These cars were left empty just half a block away. Why were you so eager to come here if you weren't here because of last night?" 

"I thought I was here being sued again by Montgomery? He just left me an angry note." Lie. They know I've been visiting GCPD for the past month for an issue with another company that wants money.

Lie. 

He sighed, "No ma'am, we are actually here for the incident last night." 

"What about it?" 

"We saw a camera pointed near the alleyway of the crime and saw you walk by it minutes before the cars came. We were wondering if these SUVs looked familiar to you." 

"Oh my gosh, I—I never saw an SUV."

Lie, Lie. 

He placed his palm on the desk, "What about a few men in black? Or..." he slid another photograph. This time, it was him. "This man?"

"Isn't this the guy in the morning news?" I huffed. "Thankfully, no, I didn't see him."

He glanced at his partner before sighing.

"What a relief. I often walk along that street on my way home." Lie, Lie, Lie. 

He nodded, "Okay then. Well, thank you for your time, Ms. Dawn. That's all we need." 

I thanked him too and rose from my seat,

"Ms. Dawn?" He suddenly spoke,

I turned, "Yes, Officer?" 

"Are you sure you didn't see anyone?" he asked, "Nothing at all?"

I paused at the moment, my heart beating. Should I really tell them about it? I mean, he might actually leave me untouched. I never really saw anything.

Oh, I am lying to myself.

No. I don't care. I can handle this myself. I am not a coward. I can't have police search anywhere or guard me at my every move.

"Yes, I am sure." 

He placed his hands on his waist.

Then I paused. Out of genuine curiosity, I asked him. "What did he do?" 

"Bane?"

So that's his name.

"We can't divulge any information as of the moment but we can say that he might be linked with Batman. Does it ring a bell?" 

"No." LIE. 

"Well, thank you again for your time, Ma'am." 

"Thanks," I left the place and headed back to my car. 

Damn, that was a big relief. I couldn't believe that the man I saw was a terrorist. I felt lucky enough to be left untouched.

Now I just need to forget about what I've done for a damn terrorist.