Chapter 18

Prestige Hospital, Cuba

I sat in the waiting room, trying to fight sleep. Bane was terribly wounded, and injured. He lost a lot of blood and that's enough to scare me. I have to admit, I'm scared. I'm scared that he'll die, and I wouldn't even get to tell him that I cared for him. That I loved him.

A chopper came flying by the building, and they took Bane. It was the paramedics I called from a leading hospital from Cuba. I called them, because I knew that they could do things normal doctors couldn't. I knew about them way back, because one of their doctors is my Father's colleague. He knew me since I was a child, and this was the 5th time we met.

I clasped my fingers together, eyes drenched. Then, I heard footsteps getting closer. It was Richard.

My body automatically stood up from the seat I've been sitting on for a couple of hours, I glanced at the doctor with weary eyes, "What happened?" I asked,

He smiled a bit, "He's alright. The bullets have been removed, and we worked on a few stitches. His spine needs to be brought to therapy for a few months as well."

I sighed unsure if I was happy or still worried.

"But..." Richard spoke, making me glance back up at him, "We had to fix the mask he was wearing."

Richard's voice drowned me in my thoughts. He said that a temporary oxygen mask was around him letting him breathe.

I snapped right back, "What do you mean? What about his mask?" My eyes started to tear up, "Can't you do something about it?"

He stepped closer, trying to talk in the calmest way to not freak me out, "Amy, we couldn't fix the mask he wore." He took a deep breathe, "It was designed only for him by someone we don't know, but I'm sure is somewhere from the middle east. A doctor I've heard from..."

"Then we'll find him-"

Richard hesitated to tell me but he had to, "That doctor was punished, killed back then when they found out he made Bane live. The bad guys." he said, and at this point, I almost choked.

My hands began to shake a little, I placed them on my forehead taking deep breaths, "Is-Is there-" I stuttered on my own words, "Is there something y-you can do?" I asked as my voice shook, I was starting to sob.

I felt Richard's hand on my shoulder, "We've been thinking about it. But it's a matter of life and death, Amy. I didn't think you'd want to hear it."

My eyes widened, I shook my head, "I do, I want to know. What is it?"

He paused, not wanting to continue. "It's-It's something we once did, but failed. Then a few years later, we made the same operation, and it succeeded..."

"So? That's a good thing, right?"

He nodded, "Yes, but- it is a very big decision to make. And you have the right to decide,"

I thought for a while. It was a hard decision to make, and it was risking Bane's life. I was scared. My eyes looked down, tears pouring out. I slowly sat down on the bleachers, my hands covered on my face. Richard sighed, feeling bad for the offer he had made, but it was the only way indeed.

I took my hands away and sighed, "If it's the only way to make him live normal again..." I glanced at Richard, "We'll do it."

"You don't have to-"

I interrupted him, "I'm making my decision, and I trust you." I held his hand,

"Amy..."

"I know you don't want to do this, because of what happened with my father back then, but this is different. And I know that you can do it this time." I told him, tightening my grip. He held back, and nodded.

"Alright," he caressed my cheek, "I'll do this for you. I won't let you lose someone again."

Richard was a great friend of dad's, and now he's starting to be like him. I loved that. Knowing that somehow, I'd get the love I had from dad. He was almost like my father. He cared, even if I haven't seen him too often, I trusted him just like my Parents did.

"Promise me," I started, "You'll help him live."

"Why is he so important to you?" He suddenly asked, worried why I cared for the big guy who started a big war back in Gotham. He did not want to do it, but there was something he felt why I wanted him to.

I let go of his hand, "I know this is gonna sound crazy but..." I paused, "I love him."

Richard was startled with my reply, but he tried so hard to understand why. "H-how-"

"Please just do it for me. Help Bane live." I pleaded, and he did not hesitate anymore.

"I will."