Chapter 14

It took him forever to find Amy. He ordered another group of men to locate her in the airport, her condo, the office, and the police. The answers were all the same: she was nowhere to be found.

She really left, he thought to himself. For once, she wasn't stubborn enough to fight his wishes—or so he thought.

Amy took her time reading through compiled newspapers about Bane. It was her last chance to hold on to the past. Moments later, she hears footsteps coming from the tunnel.

"You didn't listen," Bane spoke. 

She closed her eyes. As she opened them, she slowly turned around to face him. "You should know that by now," she teased.

"That's how I found you."

"And why are you looking for me?" To kill me? Is this how it ends?

He took one step closer. "You have always been quite the challenge. Always testing my patience. And yet, you stayed to see through it all. You haven't broken my trust. I appreciate the effort it took to be where you are now."

"I was doing my job."

He nodded, "You've always been professional. That I admire as well. But you've also been brave enough to tell me what's been on your mind."

Well, not everything, Amy thought to herself.

"Now it's my turn," Bane continued. "I've admired you from the moment you held me at gunpoint."

Amy couldn't help but let out a laugh. Bane slowly closed the space between them as he looked at her, finding the right words to say.

He stopped only a few inches away from her. His head tilted downwards to meet her gaze. "And up until now. Even as you continue to be stubborn."

"I'm not sure if you're trying to be sweet or insulting," Amy whispered, teasing him. "Then again, I never really knew how you felt."

Bane slowly lifted his hand and rested it on her cheek. Amy's whole body shivered and so did he. As a response, she reached her hand over to his steel mask. She traced her finger around where his mouth would've been. Their eyes met. 

"What are you thinking?" she whispered.

Suddenly, his eyes turned cold, as if snapping back into reality.

"You," he started. "You need to go."

"Again?" she scoffed and moved away from him. "I don't understand you."

"I'm still doing what I was meant to do."

Amy shook her head. "I thought you were here to tell me...what you feel."

Bane sighed. "I came to say goodbye."

"Well, you might as well kill me now, because I am not leaving Gotham."

Bane couldn't believe his ears. Kill her? That would never cross his mind.

She continued, "I'm not leaving you."

There was silence. And it was getting louder.

"Goodbye, Amy," Bane finally spoke. 

Nothing would have changed his mind, she thought, as he proceeded to leave her alone.