Chaper 1

"Tris!,"yells my mother.

"Yes Mommy?"

"Come get your little brother and bathed him!!" I rush to get him as fast as I could. I knew my mother would become upset if I didn't listen.

"Hey Caleb," I say as I pick him up. I start the tub, running my fingers through the warm water. I take caleb's cloths off and set him in the tub.  I hear screams coming from downstairs. Mom and Dad must be fighting again. Caleb starts to whine, struggling to get out of the tub.

"It's ok Caleb, Mom and Dad just don't get along."I knew he didn't understand what I was trying to say. He's only two, and I'm ten.

I put down Caleb to dry off. The screams only became louder as I put his cloths on. Caleb was only making it worse by starting to cry. I pick him up and bounce him up and down trying to calm him down. He starts to settle down a bit and then eventually he falls asleep.

I walk back to my room to grab my book. The screams continue and they are getting worse, I'm afraid the neighbors will call the police. I went downstairs and saw my mom sitting on the floor crying. My dad was yelling at her to not touch him ever again. I step closer and bend down next to my mom. I just look at her in pain, afraid of what is happening.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE!," My dad screams loudly. I jump up with terror spreading across my face.

He snatches my book out of my hands and throws it at the window. Glass shadders everywhere, I duck my head and run outside to get my book. Its lying in a mud puddle. I grab it and try cleaning it off. I turn around and bump into someone, my dad. He picks me up with force and puts me over his shoulder.

"Let me go!," I yell.

"I'M GOING TO TEACH YOU A LESSON NOT TO GET IN BETWEEN ME AND YOUR MOTHER!," He screams so loudly the neighbors tell him to shut it.

He slams me against the floor and starts to punch and kick me. I wail in pain, screaming at him to stop. After one final punch he stops and walks out of the house.

"Baby please wait!,"My mom yells as she goes after him. I lay there in pain, helpless. I have to get up and check on Caleb.

I stand up with pain going through my sides and my head hurting. I try walking in a straight line, but everything seems blurry, and everything is spinning. I hear crying in the background, its echoing. I walk into Caleb's room and see him standing in his crib, crying.

"It's ok Caleb, Sisters right here," I say and climb into the crib with him. I hold him tight, waiting for him to fall asleep. When he does, my eyes start to close and soon enough I fall asleep. Waiting for my Mom to come back.

******************************

I wake up next to Caleb in his crib. I remember what happened last night. I touch my lip and I feel stinging pain. I walk into the bathroom and look into the mirror. I have a black eye and swollen lip. I go check my moms room, but she's not in there. I go to the living room, again nothing.

"Mom?," I call out, no response.

I check around the whole house. They aren't back yet from fighting. I look at the time, seven twenty. I have to get ready for school. I put on my pants, shirt, shoes, an finally my jacket. Right when I was about to exit the house a loud crying noise came from upstairs. Caleb. I rush upstairs almost tripping on the rugged old carpet.

"Shhh, it's ok Caleb. Tris got you." I pick him up from the crib. My eyes go wide as I realize something. Mom and dad are not home. Who's going to take care of Caleb? I try calling my mom. No answer. Dad. No answer.

"I guess I'll have to leave you with the neighbor Caleb," I say. I pack all the things he needs and walk outside. The cold air hits my face as I walk  to the neighbors front door. I knock on it and wait for someone to answer. The door slightly opens and a small lady walks out.

"Hi Mrs. Oswell. How are you doing?," I say politely.

"Good morning dear, Im doing fine, how about you?," she asks.

"Great.... Ummm, Can you take care of Caleb today, I have to go to school."

"Well of corse. But, where is your mother or father?," she asks. I panic. Shes not suppose to know whats going on.

"They just left this morning, they told me to drop Caleb off here and ask if you could take care of him, while I am in school," I say hoping she bought the lie.

"Well okay dear," she says while picking Caleb up. "Hurry off to school."

"Thank you," I say as I run off.