Epilogue: The Story of Us

I sat there with tears in my eyes; my hands stinging from all the clapping as my best friend danced on stage to snag his diploma. Pumping a fist in the air, Riley threw the audience a triumphant grin before striding back to his seat.

“He looks so grown up,” Mrs. Colton whispered from behind me to my mom who was seated on my left, “Can’t believe my baby’s graduating.”

“It seems like just yesterday, we were running through the park sprinklers barefoot,” Savannah sighed on my right as she snapped another picture, “They grow up so fast.”

I snorted and hissed back, “That was yesterday genius!”

Savannah rolled her eyes as she cheered for the other boys graduating.

“Buzz kill Erin!”

I sunk back into my seat and sighed; what a rush.

“Can you believe our boys are graduating?” she whispered as she snapped another picture, “I can’t believe it!”

“I can’t believe you decorated the entire gym,” I muttered in awe, “It’s gorgeous!” 

Brightly colored streamers danced across the high ceiling of the gym while millions of navy and white balloons tied to poles swayed in the light breeze from the open windows.

Savannah shrugged as she snapped a picture of Drake picking his nose, “It wasn’t too difficult.”

I nodded, “Yeah,  well it’s crazy.”

“You know that’s crazy?” Adam hissed next to Savannah, “The fact that I’m graduating next year! How sick is that?”

I snorted, “Yeah, Adam graduating is more unbelievable than the fact these guys are graduating right now.”

Savannah sniffed, “Hey, hey, my baby’s growing up.”

Adam slumped back into his seat, “Yeah yeah.”

I laughed and poked my mom on my left, “Trevor would’ve been on that stage.”

Sighing, my mom laughed through tears, “Yes, my baby would’ve graduated today.”

Ever since the service, my parents and I could talk openly about Trevor without opening up the floodgate. Sure I missed him all the time but I finally put a chain on that door of hatred, grief, and depression.

“Hey, hey, it’s Drake!” Savannah squealed as she pinched my arm, “Whooo! Whatta beast! Draaaake Roooyy!”

I hooted along with my best friend and her boyfriend as Drake strode onto the stage with a bright smile and posed with his diploma, winking in our direction.

“Tool!” Adam coughed as Drake sauntered back to his seat with his fellow graduates, “Tool!”

“Be nice,” I warned playfully as I clapped for one of new best friends.

“And now a few words from our valedictorian, our very own, Mr. Derek Nova,” Principal Greene beamed into the microphone.

There was a hush of whispers in the audience as everyone in the crowd simmered down into silence as we waited for the wise words of Derek.

Standing there behind the podium, Derek beamed in his navy robe and golden tassels. His black hair curled into soft tufts under his cap and his warm eyes radiantly shined.

“That’s my boy,” Derek’s mom shouted from a few rows back, “That’s my baby!”

Yes, Derek and his mom have finally mended their relationship with one another ever since Derek and Drake became closer stepbrothers and I’ve never seen such a beautiful family.