Chapter 7: Shocka Brah

Picture of Erin (Emma Roberts!) on the side :)

The feeling you get while running is indescribable. Perhaps it’s because it ranges per person.

When I run, I feel like a bird in flight despite the burning sensation in my legs. When I run, I feel airborne. Weightless. Magical. Unstoppable.

I crossed the line seconds before Derek did. 

He skidded to a halt, bending over on his knees trying to catch his breath. 

“Damn,” he panted as I got up and slowly jogged a recovery lap.

“How’d you do that?” he called from across the track. “You couldn’t dribble the ball down the field.”

After finishing my lap, I walked up to his slumped figure on the ground and smirked. “Because I’m uncoordinated when it comes to balls but runnings a natural talent.”

Derek groaned, rolling onto his back while muttering profanities under his breath.

“God, I thought you play soccer.”

I bit my lip, trying to choose my words carefully, afraid of contradicting myself.

“Soccer’s eh,” I tried, “It’s you know, a hobby, it’s-”

“Its an ass!”

I frowned at Derek, “I thought you liked it.”

Derek removed his arm from his eyes and groaned, “What? I didn’t say anything.”

There was a roar of laughter behind me and I spun around to investigate the noise.

Standing in a semi ‘V’ formation was the Draco Malfoy of West Montgomery, Drake Roy as well as his loser posse.

“Who would’da thought?” he sneered. “Derek? Derek Nova? And the new kid? Hey everybody!” he laughed hysterically, “Derek freaking Nova’s getting chummy with the ugly new kid!”

I bit my lower lip to keep it from trembling. I was ugly?

“Shut the hell up,” Derek growled, standing up from the track. “Get out of here Roy.”

“You wanna make me Nova?” Drake challenged, his cronies all started to form a circle around us, circling us like a pack of hungry wolves anxious to kill their prey.

“You know you’re no match, you don’t have freaking Becker here to back you up.”

I resisted the tempting urge to scream on the top of my lungs.

Derek scowled, looking away. It was a mistake bringing me out to the field.

Drake hooted in laughter, comically slapping his knee. “That was sad Nova, really really sad.”

I looked up puzzled.

Drake seemed to notice my confusion and laughed even harder.

“The freaking new kid beat you at running! God, you suck ass!”

I eyed Drake uncomfortably, he was insane.

“Nova sucks at running!” he taunted. “And so does the newbie!” He turned to me, “You barely won loser.”

I rolled my eyes, he really thinks he can outrun me?

“I can kick your ass any day,” I mutter in a gruff voice.

Drake’s eyes lit up. “What?”

“You heard me,” I smiled confidently, “I can kick your ass any day, any time; you name it!”