Chapter 19: May the odds be ever in your favor

Picture of Derek (Max Schneider) on the side!

“Drake!” I screeched excitedly, “Get the nurse!”

Drake casually pushed off against the wall he was leaning against and sauntered out the room taking his sweet time.

“Dumbass,” I muttered angrily under my breath, “Run!”

“Hey, take it easy on him,” a soft voice chuckled.

My eyes flashed down to Derek, his forehead covered in a sheen layer of cold sweat.

“Derek!”

He nodded, wincing at some unseen pain.

“Hey Erin.”

His voice was hoarse, his dry throat struggling to shape the proper words that was muffled by the oxygen mask.

“I’m sorry,” I immediately blurted, “I-I-I shouldn’t have gone with Drake- I only went to make you jeal-”

“Please step back Miss,” an unfamiliar voice called from behind, “Abbie, please get me my clip board.”

Swiveling around, I was face to face with a doctor and Drake, his sad eyes staring at the floor.

He heard me confess that I didn’t really want to go with him.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I slowly rose from my knees.

“Doc-”

Something hard sharply tugged my hand back, “Don’t go Erin,” a small voice croaked.

Derek frowned when the doctor heavily sighed, “I suppose your girlfriend may have seat in the chair next to you.”

I opened my mouth to object, “I’m not his-”

“Sit down,” Derek mumbled as the doctor examined him, his cool fingers lightly probing his head.

Derek suddenly winced as his fingers lightly stroked his temple.

“Tender?” the doctor frowned.

Derek nodded through gritted teeth, “Shoulders killing me.”

“Must’ve been from hitting your head against the side window,” the doctor frowned as he removed the oxygen mask and continued to throughly check Derek for further breakage.

“And you certainly dislocated your shoulder. We popped it back in place but it most likely will be very sore.”

Derek muffled a groan. 

“I’m-I’m gonna head home,” a small voice muttered from the door.

Drake gave me a small smile before parting.

“Bye bro, get better soon,” he mumbled awkwardly. “And Erin?”

I looked up sheepishly.

“It was nice seeing you.”

I blushed a crimson red as I nodded goodbye.

“Goodbye Drake.”

“Man you had me worried sick-”

“Never scare me like that again you dumbass!”

“Holy Be-Jeezus, you’re never gonna hear the end of this Nova, never-”

“Guys!” I shouted over the assortment of threats and relieved comments, “Give Derek some space, he just woke up!”

Riley, Adam, and Savannah hung their heads in shame as they all slowly backed away from the cot.