Chapter 6: Run for your life...

Max Schneider! (I love him!) :) as Riley Colton! and one of my favorite bands, Before You Exit's cover of 'What Make's You Beautiful' :)

Our  dorm was very silent when Riley and I came home from dinner.

Derek laid on the couch, his eyes glued to a Knicks game on TV.

“Sup,” Riley coughed, trying to catch Derek’s bored attention.

Derek slightly glanced up.

“Hey.”

Riley, his usual bubbly self, started chattering away, telling us all about his AP test and how it was super easy.

I nodded, saying ‘hmm’ whenever needed, and smiled; honestly everything he said went through one ear and out the other.

“So,” Riley clapped his hands. “Where’s Adam?”

“It’s a Friday,” Derek grunted. “Poker night, Alex Dawson’s, room 232.”

Riley’s eyes instantly lit up and he turned to me. “Hey Aaron, you up for-”

“No,” I shook my head in protest. “You go on without me. I’ll just chill here and text Savannah.”

I hated gambling for multiple reasons, one, I sucked and two, it made me super nervous.

Derek gave a small cough and I turned to find him snickering, his eyebrow’s slightly raised.

“What?” I demanded. “What’s so funny Nova?”

“Nothing Burkley,” he countered with equal verve. “I’m just surprised you talk to girls. You’re so shy and fema-”

“Alrighty then,” Riley chuckled awkwardly, “You go text Savannah Aaron, see you later.”

He nodded at Derek, “Later bro.”

“Yeah man,” Derek yawned.

I was about to trudge to my room the minute Riley shut the door but something in Derek’s tone caught me.

“I’m guessing you don’t want me to tell him about Drake right?”

I stopped in my tracks and turned, “Yeah, how’d you know?”

He shrugged and flipped through random channels on TV, stopping on Sesame Street with light amusement.

“He acts like your older bro. And based on what I’ve seen, if I told him about lunch today, he’d rip Drake Roy into pieces. He looks out for you.”

I nodded, “Yeah man. He’s got my back.” I swallowed a lump of nervousness. “Thanks, I appreciate it.”

Drake stared at me, his eyes taking me in.

“You’re small for a soccer player,” he muttered. “And how the hell does your face look baby smooth? Don’t you shave?”

I quickly rubbed my chin, “Good razor,” I nodded. “Yep yep, smooth as a baby...”

Derek’s eyes lit up in amusement and he turned off the TV. 

“Come on.”

I frowned in confusion. “Huh?”

He leaned over the couch and retrieved a soccer ball I failed to notice. “Let’s play.”

I bit my lip, Riley hadn’t taught me anything about soccer yet.

“I don’t play soccer,” I muttered.

“Ah yeah you do,” Derek argued, “Read your bio.”

I raised my eyebrows and he shrugged. “Office sent us yours and Riley’s bio last week so we’d have an idea of what our new roommates would be like.”

I groaned internally, he got me. “But the felid’s dark,” I protested in vain.

“We have stadium lights,” he called, walking out the door. “Move it Burkley.”

I kicked myself in the butt for not going with Riley, I’d take poker night over a game of soccer with the devil any day.

The field was brightly lit and the smell of freshly cut grass wafted into my nose. Derek threw the ball down and started skillfully dribbling it across the field and expertly scoring a goal.

“Burkley,” he called from across the field. “Your turn!”

I grimaced as I felt the ball make contact with my foot. Ever so carefully, I attempted to dribble it down the field but ended up tripping mid way.

“Damn, you suck,” he laughed as I tried to spit out a lump of grass that had made its way into my mouth.

I jumped up and tried to make a goal, the ball pathetically bounced off the goal post after I kicked it.

He quickly shagged the ball and bounced it on his head. “Here,” he muttered.

I tried to kick it again, this time, it  hit the goal post and ricocheted back into me, smack into my chest.

“Ouuff!” I grunted, almost doubling over from the blow, the chest brace luckily took 95% of the impact.

“It’s official,” Derek smirked, “You suck ass at sports.”

That set me off.

“Nova, 400 meters, now.”

He looked slightly shocked as I stomped off the field and onto the track, taking my place in the second lane.

“Ill even give you first lane,” I grunted, adjusting my position for maximum traction after I push off.

Derek smirked and crouched down to a starting position in the first lane.

“Runners on your mark,” he stated.

I blurred everything but the lane in front of me out of my vision. It was just me and lane two.

“Get set.” 

I took a deep breath, it was my time to shine.

“Go!”

A/N: Thanks for reading guys, VOTE! COMMENT! FAN! :) remember, I only reread this once so I have a ton of grammatical errors -.- both other than that, thanks for reading! you guys are the BOMB! tick tick ;) aha awk

carpe diem! xoxo