Chapter 21: Gold Forever

Picture of Drake (Asher Book) and The Wanted’s Stay Gold on the side!

Derek’s birthday party had a pretty unique theme.

Two words.

Gold Forever.

The look on his face when everyone shouted ‘surprise!’ the minute we entered the crab shack? 

One word.

Priceless.

Millions of tiny lights strung around the inside of the shack while golden Japanese lanterns hung from the ceiling. Scattered on every single wooden table in the establishment was gold dust and tied to the back of each and every chair was a golden ribbon.

A long white banner stretched on the far wall of the shack; the words ‘Derek Elliot Nova: Gold since ’93’ was beautifully printed in a shimmery gold.

Props to Savannah for wonderfully decorating the joint.

Looking around, one can notice the piling platters of food sitting on top of the gold dusted tables. Food ranging from hot wings to pizza sat temptingly on large golden plates.

The cake sitting in the far end of the room was a sphere decorated to look like a soccer ball. His last name and jersey number were elegantly etched in fondant right on top of the cake. ‘Nova 26’.

Props to Adam for ordering such an awesome cake.

But perhaps the most eye catching thing in the room was Riley’s doing.

An old projector sat in the middle of the room pointed at a crooked white screen hanging on the wall.

Pictures of Derek as a child, an adolescent, and pictures with him now flashed back and forth; the films title, ‘Gold Forever Derek’ printed boldly in gold on the top of the screen.

And of course, what could be more appropriate than The Wanted’s ‘Gold Forever’ playing in the background.

Riley had captured 19 wonderful years in a slideshow.

I glanced at the birthday boy on my left, his face frozen with shock.

“Derek bro, you alright?” Adam laughed as he stumbled over and clamped his best friend on the shoulder, “Happy Birthday man.”

Derek slowly shook his head, his adam’s apple slowly bobbing as he swallowed.

“I-I-I-”

“Speechless?” Savannah chirped smugly as she danced over to give Derek a hug, “Happy birthday Derek! May all of your wishes and dreams come true!”

Derek silently nodded as Riley gave him a one arm hug, “Derek bro, happy nineteenth birthday!”

I smiled from the side, “Happy Birthday Derek!”

Derek swallowed twice before speaking, “You guys- you guys threw me a birthday party?”

Savannah eyed him skeptically, “Duh, thats what friends are for!” 

To everyone’s surprise, Drake was there too.

“Hey man,” he smiled at his step brother. “Happy birthday. I’m really sorry for everything and I hope we can start fresh now and be the brothers we’re meant to be-” he scratched the back of his head awkwardly, “I mean- if its not too late to start over and-”
Derek grabbed his step brother by the shoulder and gave him hug, “Yeah man, no worries. Brothers. Live and let go right?”