CHAPTER 25 : CHANGE

CHAPTER 25 – CHANGE

When we arrived at the small dock, they realised that it would be a tight squeeze to get us all in.  Everyone except Edward and I fitted in with Renesmee on Jacob’s knees.  Alice was on Jasper’s knees and Táchira was on Nahuel’s.  Sareeca was on Joham’s knees and Rosalie was on Emmet’s. 

Nobody had any idea about where Edward and I were going to go, except me.  Carlisle was planning to come back for us after he had dropped everyone off at the island.   But I just told him that there was no need and Edward and I would meet him and everyone else at the island.

Edward had no idea what I was talking about.  Well, nobody apart from me knew what I was going to do.  I thought it should be obvious, but obviously not.

I grabbed Edward’s arm and started pulling him away from the boat.  I walked to the end of the dock and pushed Edward in and jumped in myself.

Even though I was under water, I giggled at Edward.  He looked so shocked; his face was a picture.  I had to go up to the surface and get more air, even though I didn’t have to breathe.  Edward followed me up just in time to see the boat leaving the dock.  We waved to them as they passed then went back under the water.

After I went back under, I realised I had wanted to say something to Edward, so I swam back up again, followed by a confused Edward.

“Race ya!” I quickly swam away to get a head start.  I knew he would win but I wanted a chance.  It was great fun.  Swimming as a vampire was as good an experience as the speed of a vampire.  My arms and legs were going at such a speed that I couldn’t even see them.  And I didn’t have to breathe at all.  It was easy.

Even though I had a head start and a brilliant starting speed, Edward was catching up with me.  Why did he have to be so fast? 

I let my new competitive side – that I discovered a year and a half ago – take over and push me faster.  And it worked to make me go faster, but not to lose Edward.  He was catching up more and more by the second.

I couldn’t push myself any faster and soon enough Edward was swimming right beside me and then in front of me.  It wasn’t like when I was running, looking for Joham at the time.  I wasn’t angry at something.  I think that is what helps everything to do with me.  Anger helps my speed, strength and – at first – my shield.

We passed the boat a few minutes later.  Edward was stretching his lead now, being a show off.  I remember the first time I went to his house when I was a human.  Esme had asked if he had been showing off.  Obviously he had, so I said that he was, and she said that it was rude to show off.  I opened my shield and showed him that memory.  I heard him laugh before I saw him go up to the surface.

I could see the shape of the island clearly a few miles up ahead.  It was beautiful.  I had never seen it properly before, but now that I did, I realised that I had been missing out on so much.

When I was just about to get out of the water at the island, I had to do something.  I kicked my legs up and swam down the way.  The water was still quite deep, considering the distance it was away from the island.

I kept swimming down, further and further until I reached the bottom.  I wanted to feel the soft, beautiful warm sand that I could remember as a human.  Except this time it was extremely soft and extremely warm compared to the last time.

I swam back up to the surface and clambered out of the water.  My hair and clothes –me basically – were soaking wet when I came out.  But I would rather swim than be squashed in a boat for an hour.

Edward was leaning against the tree where he had left his clothes on the honeymoon.  He was holding a towel and had got changed.  He was wearing a pair of beige cut-offs, a white shirt and a victory smile on his face.  I wondered where he got the clothes from as they looked a bit big for him but he still looked gorgeous. They would probably be Emmet’s.  After all, he had been staying here for a few days before the incident.