CHAPTER 18 : TRACKING

CHAPTER 18 - TRACKING

We all stood there not saying a word for hours.  Nobody knew what to say, and we had the whole night to stand there and wait. 

Everybody had their own way of waiting.  Zafrina, Huilen, Carlisle and Joham watched the TV.  Emmet and Jasper were doing silly little competitions to try and find out who was better at what.  Rosalie and Alice watched them happily.  Sometimes Edward and I joined in, Edward doing the competitions and me watching with Alice and Rosalie.

For a while I was running up and down the stairs.  Nobody knew why, not even me. It wasn’t as if I was going to get any fitter.  It wasn’t as if I would get tired or out of breath.  I just needed something to do I think.  I couldn’t keep still.

I did that for ten minutes then moved on to pacing back and forward in the small front hall for the next five hours. It reminded me of Eleazer when he heard that the Volturi were coming.  He paced back and forth in the Cullens large open plan, white living room for ages.

Edward finally grabbed my arm.  He had been watching me the whole time.  He must have been bored although he never showed signs of it.  He had changed positions every hour from standing or leaning against the wall to sitting.  This was the first thing he had said.

“Everything will be fine.  When Demetri, Aro and Marcus come in the morning we will find them.”

“How?  How do you know that? What can they do that we can’t?” I asked.

“Demetri” he answered simply.

“What?” I was confused.

“Tracking” Edward replied.

Oh.  It was easy.  I could be so silly sometimes.

“Bella.  Everything will be absolutely fine.  Demetri will be able to track down Caius and the others.  It will be no problem for him.  He’s the best tracker in the world.  We can go with them and you can protect everyone with your shield.  Think about it.  There are six of them and about thirteen of us.  And, their powers will be rendered useless against your shield” he explained.

“But Aro and Demetri and Marcus.  They won’t fight against their own....their own family.  It’s just like you and Jasper fighting.  Or you and Emmet, or Carlisle or Alice and me.  It’s.....it’s just wrong” I spluttered.

“Yes they will.  I can hear them.  They’re just turning on to the path now.  They’ll be here in less than two minutes.  They are so ashamed at what they have done. Aro especially. It has destroyed the Volturi in their eyes.  They will fight with us. They have already made up their minds” he told me.  “They are less than thirty seconds away now.”

About five seconds later I heard them opening the gate at the top of the garden.  Everyone stopped what they were doing and we gathered in a big group in the front hall.  I heard their fast approach towards the front door.  They were running and they had arrived.

BRING! The shriek of the doorbell startled me.  I knew it was coming, although I expected it to be more of a DING DONG sound rather than the sound in made.  That sounded more like a telephone to me.

Everyone’s eyes turned to me and Edward.  Edward took a half step forward before I put my hand on his chest and stopped him. He looked confused, but he stopped. Instead of him going, I walked forward slowly myself and opened the door cautiously. Standing on the doorstep were three figures.

Two were in black cloaks.  That was Aro and Marcus.  The other, Demetri, was wearing a very dark grey, almost black but not quite.  The all had their heads down and hoods up.