CHAPTER 12 : FOLLOWER

CHAPTER 12 – FOLLOWER

We were all sitting in the main room, chatting about the most random subjects.  I glanced out the window and saw the field again.  The baseball things were still set up and I suddenly had the urge to play again.

“Edward” I said with my puppy dog face he just couldn’t resist.

“Yes my love?” he replied.

“Can we please play baseball again?  All the things are still set up and I had so much fun.  Please?” I pleaded.  I worked double time on my puppy dog face.  I knew he wouldn’t be able to resist.

“I’m not sure” he replied in a voice that already sounded defeated.

“Please?” I pleaded.

I first found out that I could win him over and get what I wanted when I was human.  All I would have to say was one word.  Please.  I found out this when Victoria had created the army of newborn vampires and Edward was holding me hostage in the big, white Cullen house – which I would have let him do forever if it hadn’t have been for Charlie.  I had made him stay back with me, and I had felt horrible.  The rest of his family were hunting for the fight, so we had the house to ourselves.  I had asked to make love to him and at first he said no.  Then I pleaded and he agreed to try.  I also became engaged that night.

Edward sighed in defeat, bringing me back to the present.  In some ways I miss the old days when I was still human, but I enjoyed this life much more.  Every day I would get at least one flash back from my human life.  It was a nice thing to have.

“Would you care to join us?” Edward asked the rest of them.

They all agreed and followed us outside.  We arranged ourselves into teams again.  Edward and I had to be on different teams, or the other team would have no chance.  We were too good for them all. 

I thought about how funny it would be to be a professional player.  Now, as a vampire.  Playing with all the human professionals.  We would run at unsuspecting speed, but we would hit it hard, getting a home run every time.  Like now, the other team would have no chance of winning, unless another vampire was on the other team.

I eventually ended up in a team with Carlisle, Jasper and Alice.  There were 9 of us now, rather than 14, and Senna was refereeing again.  Huilen was playing to even up the numbers.  In the other team there was Edward, Zafrina, Kachiri, and Huilen.  This time, my team was fielding first.  I didn’t mind this.  I went to stand in the far left corner as the rest of my team took their places. 

The other team were saving Edward until last.  The saying ‘save the best til last’ popped into my head when I heard this.

Kachiri and Huilen hit the ball the exact same way straight into Jasper’s waiting hands.  They were out on their first shot.  Zafrina was out on her third shot when Jasper raced her to the home base and beat her there.  Now it was Edward.

He picked up the bat from the ground and stood up to the base.  Alice threw the ball and Edward quickly turned round and hit it in the opposite direction.  The ball was now coming in my direction.

I was the only person who had a chance of catching it.   The others were too far away and they weren’t fast enough to reach.  Edward was almost at the second base already.  I had to do it.

I ran forward, never looking away from the ball once.  It was like slow motion, it was so easy to see the ball, even though I was about ten meters away.  I could hear Edward was approaching the third base, and the ball was about to land on the ground, so I threw myself into a dive.  I crashed to the ground with my arms straight in front of me with my hands cupped.  The ball landed.