CHAPTER 2 : BIRTHDAY

The next day, Alice took Edward, Renesmee, Rosalie and I to her favourite shopping centre in Hoquiam.  When we asked her to go somewhere closer to town she said no, and her reason was that he will have seen all the cars here and close around the town.  She did have a point though.  He had been in lots of car shops to buy parts for his cars – and bikes – that he built.

So we all sat there in the car, looking different directions.  Rosalie was looking straight on with a blank expression.  Edward was staring out of the back seat window and I was looking down, playing with my hands.  Everyone except Alice and Renesmee – who were all but jumping up and down in their seats with excitement – were trying to think of a reason to stay closer to home.

Edward had told everyone that it was Jake’s birthday on Saturday.  We all had our own reasons for coming today.  Edward and I were going to buy a car for Jacob’s birthday.  Renesmee wanted to get something for Jacob, since he had made her an amazing beautiful bracelet for her birthday.  Hers was similar to the one Jacob got me at graduation.  But hers was all homemade and the wolf figurine was made out of crystal rather that wood.

Alice just came for a shopping trip.  Even if we weren’t clothes shopping, she would find a way to make it clothes shopping.  I could bet my little house in the woods that she would give Jacob clothes for his birthday.

Rosalie was something else.  She claimed that she wanted to look at the cars and stay with Renesmee, but nobody believed her.  Edward would know though, but he kept it between Rosalie and himself.  Always the gentleman, not blabbing other people’s secrets.  I didn’t deserve him.

I was sure she wanted to get a present for Jacob as well as everyone else but she just won’t admit it.  Renesmee had formed a strong bond between Rose and Jake.  They could stand next to each other or even touch each other like they were just two normal humans whereas at the start they could hardly stand in the same room as each other.

When we got near Hoquiam, Edward gave Alice directions on how to get to the first car shop.  Apparently there were about 6 car shops in Hoquiam.  There were loads of cars on display, but I let Edward and Rosalie choose what one to buy.  They asked for my opinions here and there, but then they started getting technical.  I left them to it and went to sit next to Renesmee on the little window sill.

“So. What are you getting Jacob for his birthday?” I asked her.

Suddenly she burst into tears. “Oh I don’t know Momma.  What should I do? You need to help me. Please.  Oh I’m a rubbish person. I don’t know what to do” she cried.

I pulled her on to my lap and hugged her to my chest.

“There there it’s okay.  Everything will be fine and you are not a rubbish person.  You just haven’t seen anything yet.  And of course your father and I will help you.  Even if we have to take you shopping half way around the world, you will find something.  Don’t worry” I said in a soothing voice.

Her sobs became quieter then silenced completely as she snuggled closer into my chest.

Just then, Edward appeared with Rosalie just behind him.

“Did you choose one then?” I asked as they noted Renesmee on my lap.

“Yeah we got him a type of Ferrari.  We know how much he likes yours so we got him one similar. It can go up to 200 miles an hour and the horsepo”- I cut him off and reminded him that I do not have much knowledge about cars.

Alice had disappeared – probably to do clothes shopping – so we had about an hour to hang about.  Rosalie disappeared a minute later going to ‘find Alice’, but we all knew she was getting something for Jacob.  So we helped Renesmee look for something special.