CHAPTER 13 : THE CHILDREN

CHAPTER 13 – THE CHILDREN

“NOOOO!” My scream echoed through the house like the buzzing of a trapped fly.

“Shh, shh.  We’ll find them” Edward said in a soothing yet annoyed yet determined tone  I could tell that he was in as much pain as I was, but he was trying to put a brave face on and be calm for me  This made me feel bad for him to think that he needed to be.

I went to the large double bed in the room that Renesmee and Jacob were sleeping in.  I threw myself on to the bed and buried my head in the pillows.

I started screaming into the pillows and I felt the smallest bit better.  It felt good to take my anger and sadness out on something that wasn’t a person.  I would hate to upset anyone.

Once I stopped screaming – about twenty minutes later – I couldn’t stand up.  I had the hole in my chest that I had when Edward had left me those months after my 18th birthday.  I quickly pulled my knees up to my chin and wrapped my arms around them.  I then squeezed them as hard as I could to try and minimise the pain, but it didn’t work.

Edward came and sat on the bed next to me.  I noticed that when he did, everybody else went away.  They would still be able to hear us, but they were giving us some privacy.

Edward put his hands on my shoulders and sat me up.  He pulled me closer to him and I buried my head into his chest and started sobbing tearless, heartbroken sobs.  I felt better and the pain eased when I was in Edward’s arms.  Edward just sat there hugging me and trying to calm me down.  I knew that if it wasn’t for me, he would be doing the same.  In the inside, he was doing the exact same as me, but he was trying to put on a brave face on the outside for me.

“W-w-why.......w-would.......so-some-someone........d-do.....this?” I asked him in between my tearless sobs.

“I don’t know.  It could be a set-up. Or jealousy” he guessed.  I could tell his brave face was very hard for him to keep up.  His voice was cracking at almost every word he said.  His voice was still soothing though.

 We sat there not saying a word to each other for a while.  I couldn’t stop crying, and it wasn’t going to stop any time soon.  I suddenly felt something wet trickle down my face.  I took my hand from where Edward had been holding it and placed it on my cheek.  It was wet, and it was from my eye.  A tear.

I was confused.  Vampires couldn’t cry.  I looked at Edward – who had been watching me the whole time – with an alarmed expression on my face.  He looked just as alarmed as I did.  More tears started falling down my face.

“Carlisle?” he shouted.

Carlisle was there before Edward was able to finish shouting his name.  Carlisle took one look at me and was suddenly sitting next to me.

“Well I’ve never seen a vampire that can cry” he said, half jokingly and half worriedly.

“Do you know what’s wrong?” Edward had asked for me.  I had opened my shield and told him to say it, as I was too upset to speak.

“I have no idea” Carlisle sighed.

Suddenly, terror struck me.  This couldn’t be happening.  I told Edward through my shield to ask Carlisle if my nightmare was coming true.

“Is she losing her vampire powers?” Edward asked.

“No, no.  It is impossible to lose them. There have been myths about vampires being able to cry, but never ones of a vampire losing their powers.  Impossible” he stated.

I was relieved.  My nightmare wasn’t – or never would – coming true.  I took a deep breath and looked up at the ceiling before looking at Carlisle directly in the eye.  I took another deep breath and spoke for the first time during the conversation.