Friendship? Sure. Love? I Want More.

"Let's go for a walk." said Anne.

She stood up and headed for the door with Gilbert following.

I got my hat and coat and we went out.

Nobody said anything for about ten minutes. So, I decided to break the silence.

"It's weird that we had a picnic in this kind of weather, isn't it?"

He just nodded.

"Great talk." I whispered, sarcastically.

Gilbert stopped and looked at me.

"Violet is a friend."

I nodded letting him know I was listening.

"I like you and I want us to have a future based on trust."

"Me too."

"You have to trust me."

"I-I can't."

He looked at me with a hurt expression on his face.

"Did I ever give you a reason not to trust me?"

"How about writing me in our last letter that you would come back a month later but you stayed half a year and I waited here with no letter feeling stupid." I snapped.

"Something came up."

"And you couldn't have told me?"

"I tried to help Bash spend more time with his mum. She couldn't speak to him and the people she was housekeeping for, didn't know that she had a son. I had to spend hours doctoring so Bash could finally talk to his mum after ten years, as well as greeting Mary to her."

"Who is Mary?"

"The girl he fell in love with."

"Awww."

"He wants me to be the best man at his wedding."

"I'm sure you'll make a delightful best man."

"Thank you. Anyways, I couldn't write to you because people got suspicious really quick and they checked every letter that got send."

"That's crazy though."

"I know but they obviously thought that they were protecting their country."

"That's pretty foolish."

"That's correct."

"Gil... I don't mind that you are friends with Violet. I really don't. But, there's something awfully wrong with her."

"Why do you say that?"

"She was throwing sarcastic remarks at me and she was always with you and not with anybody else. On top of that, I think she likes you and is basically crazy about you and not the kind that Ruby was but even a higher level."

"You seem like you know her pretty well."

"I'm very observant."

"What else do you know?"

"That she looks really familiar with a girl that was at the asylum."

"Really?"

"Yeah, her name was Lily."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, why?"

"That's her sister's name. She told me she died when she was nine. Which was the last time I saw her. Although, I did find countless of letters addressed to her. I thought that Violet was looking for some closure but..."