004

No words can explain better the continuous silence. It was just simply quiet, empty, somehow hollow, somehow saddening. I wanted to shower, feeling sticky from the sweat of panic and fear just a few hours ago. I needed food in my system. Harry could care less about my needs as he continued to avoid socialization. It began to depress me how bad things were looking forward.

       Even when I'm in Texas, I won't be safe. It is clear that whoever is after me, won't stop after this. Harry is my only protection. By the rate things are going, however, I'll die of starvation in his control.

       There were still desert roads around us. Ahead of us, however, was a small building that was beginning to stretch the further the car drove down the road. I let my eyes wander, sitting up with curiosity and hope that it would just be what I'm thinking of. To my pleasure, the large "Motel" sign -- although fading from the sun -- was vibrant in my sight.

       "We're taking a bit of a detour. I have to make some phone calls." Harry explained. I gaze at him, seeing his usual boring facial expression plastered on his face. Always serious, never laughing or smiling. If not bored, angry, or annoyed, he was smirking with cruel amusement.

       I've grown a backbone since he yelled at me a few hours ago, using a quiet tone this time because my backbone was still a little weak on support. "How are you going to make a phone call? We're in the middle of the desert." I stated quietly.         

       The car made a right turn, driving us into a parking lot. Around me were numerous of red doors, two stairs leading up to the floors that led to the rooms themselves. It was a nightmare. I wouldn't be snobby about such things, most of my life was lived in luxury yet I was raised better than to complain. But, this place was so devastating to look at, even "shit" wasn't a mean enough word to describe this place.

        Harry stopped the car, removing the keys with abrupt speed. “Get out of the car. I’ll get us a room so you can shower, some food, and after exactly four hours when that clock hits six PM we are leaving.”

        I nodded my head, following his instructions and getting out of the car. I wrapped my arms around myself, glancing around us. My lips parted slowly, following Harry in my wedge heels I still had on.

        I sped up to be able to walk close to him, feeling that everywhere I was there were people watching me. We made it to the small window where I man stood with his back to us. Harry was already pulling out a wallet from his back pocket, the gun still in his other.

        “Excuse me?” Harry asked. Instead of sounding polite, he sounded assertively determined.

        The man behind the counter turned around, his face tattooed and his deep black eyes glancing at both of us. His lip was ripped at the side, surgically put together so his mouth would function correctly. The large scar painted his tan skin permanently.

        My eyes widened in shock, my breath hitching as I flinched and accidentally bumped my side into Harry’s. To my surprise, Harry hadn’t even moved from the abrupt nudge. Luckily for me, the man behind the counter didn’t see my reaction as for he had been looking at Harry.

        When his eyes trailed to mine, I had found myself gulping. The way he was looking scared me a bit. I knew just about anyone would be untrusting of others the second someone tells them people are looking for them. It’s hard to see the good in a person that stares like the want to eat you, and has a face with several wounds. I can almost feel the pain on my face from seeing them on his.

        “I have many rooms available. Which would you prefer? Full, or twin?” The man spat, his voice gravelly like had been a smoker for most of his life.