TWENTY-ONE

CRY ME A RIVERRRRRRR...
BITCH

SURPRISINGLY, MACKENZIE'S NOSE HAD turned from purple to a deep red. Brynn, however, would be walking around with a black eye and a swollen lip for a few weeks.

Brynn just wasn't as angry as Mackenzie was.

Mackenzie was at home on Tuesday night, and she wasn't allowed back in school until Thursday, due to her actual suspension that she had gotten for fighting.

Mackenzie didn't mind too much, it gave her time to think about Johnny. And maybe get him to tell her what's going on. She had a feeling that wasn't going to happen though, so she went to the next best thing, their best friend.

Mackenzie knocked on the door, patiently waiting for Hayden to open the door and eventually, he does.

"Hayden, hi." Mackenzie says.

"Hey, Kenz." He replies, leaning on the door.

"Can I... come in?"

"Yeah, sure."

Mackenzie smiles as she walks into the familiar household, taking a seat on the couch that was seated in the living room, Hayden following her.

"Uh, how's Brynn?"

Hayden chuckled lightly before looking over at her, "Do you really care, Mackenzie?"

"No... just thought it was uncivil to not ask..."

"Well, I'm not 100% sure... I kinda dumped her after the whole incident, and plus, you're the one that beat her ass, so..." ( an_ try to remember that the asshole deserved it mkay )

"Yeah..." Mackenzie coughed, "So, um, anyways... I need to ask you something."

"Shoot."

"What is it with Johnny? Look... I know you've been friends since you guys were little, so is there any reason why he would've shot me down?"

Hayden sighs before looking away from Mackenzie's eyes, "Yeah, I think so..."

"So... what is it, Hayden?"

"Um, when we were in like... fourth grade and he came to school crying one day, I asked him why. He didn't tell me at first, he was very closed off it took me a while to actually get it out of him, but he told me. He told me his dad left them the night before... his sisters had to leave for school, everyone around him was just leaving him."

"Oh, my."

"Yeah... it's been hard for him to be serious with anyone... he must really like you if he ended anything you might've had."

"But why would he do that to himself... close himself off if he has serious feelings?"

"He's scared, Kenz," Hayden shrugged, "Imagine everyone you've ever loved leaving you."

"I couldn't..."

"I know, but if you wanna shoot your shot, you'll have to convince him that you won't leave."

"I can't be sure of that, though..."

"I know you can't, that's what makes this so hard."

"I just don't know what to do anymore, Annie."

Mackenzie had told Annie everything, from the bra prank to what really happened the night of the party to her fight with Brynn. Mackenzie was glad she still had someone to talk to, most of the girls at her school were bitchy or terrible listeners, not Annie though, she loved her.

"Well, you should do something to take your mind off."

"Like what..."

There was a mischievous glint in Annie's eyes as she stood up, "My school's holding a bonfire at the beach tonight... wanna come?"

we needed mackannie in this bitch 💨