Part 20

"So glad you could join your family." He gestured to the living room. A soft throb ached above my brow, as I turned the corner from the foyer. My stomach sank when I saw my mother and father; both of them gagged and bound. My father's face was nearly unrecognizable, blood trickling from his nose and left brow. Mere days ago, I would've felt sympathy for him, rushed to his aide. In that moment, however, I feel almost nothing. A soft tingle of hurt echoes through my chest, forcing its way into my heartbeat. I ignore it as I rushed to my mother, picking up her head and resting it into my lap. A gentle sigh reverberates from her lips. Good, she's breathing. I ignored the panic and turn to James.

            "It's time you finally make your choice." James' voice stilled my breathing.

            "If this is about me, then leave them out." My stern voice was a total façade, covering the stench of pure fear that must've radiated from my pores.

            "I see them as leverage, love. Except your father, he's more like an accomplice." His smirk grew to a snarl as he glared to my father, stirring on the floor.

            "Accomplice?" I asked. "How so?" Again, cool, confident- nothing like I was feeling.

            "You weren't a payment, Sarah, you were the bet. I've dreamt of you my whole life. Did you know that? Literally as long as I can remember." He smiled- it would be nearly charming had anyone ignored the circumstance. "I've loved you since I was 22, but, that's when I started dreaming of you meeting my brother." He continued. "That's when I made the plan. It took me years to find this piece of shit. Years." He kicked my father as he gestured to him. 

"Ok, why didn't you just pick me up in a bar, or something? Had your shot?" I smiled softly, standing from my mother and approached James.

"We both know that wouldn't have worked. I made a plan. I bet your father I could find your mother, and in exchange, I could have you. He had no idea she was living with me. It was supposed to be a sure thing. I was supposed to be the one to pick you up at the restaurant, not my brother." His voice grew exasperatingly soft, almost whispering. "You see, in each of my dreams, you always fell in love with who you met first."

"You were the one they were intercepting?" My mouth fell with all of my composure. "He really did bet me off to some stranger." I fell to my knees, clutching my stomach.

"I'd never hurt you, even you know that; he knew you'd be safe. He had no idea about the dreams." He knelt down to touch my cheek as I pulled away. "But, once he saw Lex take you, he tried to back out. Fucking coward couldn't even hold up his end." James sent another kick into my father before a loud groan escaped his lips, frustration crawling over his expression.

"James," I started, trying to maintain subtle compassion, "what do you want with me?" My hand shook as I extended it to touch his.

"We do, or somebody dies." His voice was cold and solemn, hitching with my breath. "I hate that it came to this, Sarah, I truly do, but, you have to understand. It literally drove me crazy to think of you with him. You've always been mine. Always." He wrapped his arms around me, resting his chin on my head as a shudder traced my spine. I could feel the cold steel of his pistol as it kissed my hand.

"And if I choose Lex?" I looked up, hurt and confusion swirling in his expression.

"Your mother dies."

"And my father?" My heart stopped for a brief moment as the cold steel rose in his hand.

"He's already dead." A gunshot rang into the room as a bullet pierced my father's chest.