Part 9

A gentle rocking fell over me, rhythmically hitting the cracks in the road. I lay silently on my side, my hands cradling my chest. Short, exasperated sighs fell from my lips as I nodded in and out of consciousness. This time, though, I didn't dream. This terrified me.

            The car came to a gentle stop before my door swung open. I cradled my hands to my chest, still forcing air into my lungs. A strong pair of gentle hands scooped me up from the seat, cradling me gently to a heavy chest. I looked up into a pair of incredibly deep, almost navy blue eyes peering down at me.

            "Josiah, what the fuck did you do to her?" Jack's voice was dark and raspy, just like James'. "I told you I wanted her unharmed." His anger warmed his body, red flashing in his facial features.

            "She wasn't compliant, Jack, what did you expect me to do? Drag her out by her hair?" Josiah chuckled lightly.

            "No, I expected you to sedate her like I asked you to do, you fucking ingrate." He looked down at me, again, my pain crawling over my facial expression, whimpers and cries escaping my voice.  "Hush, child, you're alright." He didn't seem like the Jack I expected. In fact, he reminded me so much of my father. His cherry cheeks and dark complexion accentuated the blue in his eyes, silvery hair falling easily over his face. I could see where James and Lex got their looks. Jack was incredibly handsome for his age.

            He placed me on a soft mattress, covering me with a white blanket before turning to walk out of the room. I curled into a ball and closed my eyes, silent gasps for air crawling and I whimpered. The door flew open and two men walked in, each holding a notebook and a bag.

            The first man took out a pair of sheers and cut open my top, revealing my sports bra and deep black bruises. He pulled on my yoga pants, yanking them down my thighs and pulling them off of my feet. I kicked my legs and squeezed my thighs together, trying to prevent him from reaching for my panties.

            "Stop it, girl. I'm not going to hurt you. You're going to hurt yourself." The man's hands traced my spine as I relaxed, rolling myself away from the other men. "Jesus, Josiah did a number on you, didn't he?" He placed a thin ice pack under me and rolled me onto my back, his eyes widening when he saw the bruises on my chest and stomach.

            Another man stepped forward, pausing before touching me, asking permission.

            "Go ahead." I winced, tears falling down the corners of my eyes. His warm hands began to move around my stomach, pressing softly. "Who are you people?"

            "Doctors. Now, rest. Jack wants to speak to you." The second doctor pulled the covers over me, placing my clothes at the foot of the bed. "I'll bring you a new shirt, but, leave these off for now, they're too tight." He said, holding up my yoga pants. As they walked out, Jack walked in. His navy eyes held a look of concern, almost compassion.

            "What do you want with me?" I asked.

            "Your mother, child. I don't want to hurt you; I just want your mother. I always have." I looked at him inquisitively, nodding for him to continue. "She left me 6 years ago, just as we were beginning to get comfortable." He smiled.

            "You had her locked up in a warehouse." I scoffed.

            "I didn't know how my men treated her in my absence until it was too late. Other than Josiah, every single one of them has been handled." His voice was full of remorse. I didn't buy it.

            "Bullshit." I scoffed.

            "Call it what you will, but I loved your mother. I've tried contacting her in her dreams. I want the chance to explain myself. If I explain myself and she still chooses to leave, then so be it." His confidence crept over his face.

            "She told me you were cunning, charming even, but, I didn't believe it." Each word grew more exhausting to mutter, my syllables began to blend and I started muttering.

            "Oh, child, you have no idea. But, those charms are for her and her alone. I can assure you, I had no idea the conditions your mother was forced to live in when I wasn't here." He stood to walk out of the room. "Now sleep, child. I can't wait to hear of your dreams, now."