Part 8

I ran my fingers over his face, his beard ruffling slightly under my touch. He stirred gently before jumping awake, his arms instinctively covering his face.

            "It's alright, I'm here. We're ok." My hands ran over his short, buzzed hair. He sat up quickly, realizing how we were laying. Quickly scooting himself closer to me, he placed his hands on either side of my waist, leaning in closely. His warm breath hovered over my neck as he pushed a strand of hair behind my ear, cupping my chin and tilting my face towards him.

            "You- you showed me that. Not even your mother can do that. How, how did I get so lucky?" I could see his eyes, restraining from holding the whole truth.

            "Lucky? What's that supposed to mean?" I scoffed, curiosity overwhelming my voice.

            "Lucky enough to know such a talented woman." He retorted, leaning even closer, his lips hovering over my neck. "Lucky enough to have the chance to make you choose me, to fall for me."  His lips peppered my neck and chin, making their way to my face before he stopped, just on the corner of my lips. I placed my hand softly on his chest, taking a moment to breathe and settle.

            "So, I really do choose between the two of you? And one of you always ends up hurt?" I held my head in confusion and disappointment. "In one dream, I woke lying next to you, but, in others, I've dreamt of him. How do I know who to choose?" James sauntered back into the room, followed by my mother, overhearing our conversation.

            "Just know that, whoever of us you choose, we've never left your side. Both of us were with you until the end. We have always respected your decision." James placed his hand on my mother's shoulder, gesturing for her to sit down in the recliner in the corner.

            "The doctors are sending you home, now. They've refilled your medication for us, too. James, Lex, be little dearies and stop by the pharmacy on the way home?" My mom's hand patted his back gently as she shooed both boys out the door, slamming it behind her.

            "I thought they'd never leave." Her chuckle reverberated through the room, slamming into my ears with a jarring halt. "Oh, how I've waited for the moment I can talk to you, again. Hold you again. Have girl talk." Her laughter interrupted her words as she threw her hands to her face, relishing in the moment.

            "I can't even believe what daddy did to you, mama. I am so sorry I hated you for all those years." Tears trickled from the corner of my heavy eyes, as my mother instinctively wiped them.

            "It's okay, Sarah. I'd hate me, too." She said, soothing my cries.

            "No, it's not. I let myself believe you left me- after all these years- I didn't even try to look for you. He just let me believe you left." The tears continued to stream from my eyes as I threw the blankets off of my legs, leaning to hug her tightly. Her arms wrapped around my waist and tugged me tightly. "I am so sorry, mama. I really am. I can't believe I've hated the person who loved me most all of these years." She didn't respond, rather, she kissed my forehead. I could feel her hot tears on her lips, but I didn't care. I needed my mother more than anything right now.

            "About that girl talk." She smiled. "I've seen who you choose, but, I want you to see for yourself." She took my hand in hers, squeezing gently. "You have some beautiful moments ahead of you, my dear. I've seen them."

            "Did you know I'd forgive you?" I asked her, raising an eyebrow.

            "I did." She patted my knee softly. "And you'll forgive your father, too." She added. My blood ran cold, anger lurching again.