Part 19

Flashes of yellow danced in my vision again, this time, no dream. I approached the tree-line, knowing who would be waiting for me. The wind danced through my hair, blowing it from my face as it coiled from the sweat beading on my forehead. I could see his shadow as the tree line grew closer. There, Josiah stood, waiting for me. 

            "Don't run. I know you want to, but, don't. Let me help." He reached for me and I took his hand. His other hand shot up with the phone. "I've got her, Lex. She's safe." His hand gripped tighter.

            "You're an asshole." I pulled away, fighting against his rough hands. I pushed and pulled, finally tugging free, running to the cabin. The leaves cut my skin like needles and knives as limbs snapped behind me. The gentle smell of smoke creeping through the air turned me towards the large, well lit cabin. I could feel the air electrify as I tip-toed closer, listening carefully to my surroundings. A warm hand brushed mine, softly, and a familiar scent filled my breaths.

            "Sarah." His whisper fell faintly on my heart. I could feel it pounding- desperately seeking to jump from my chest as I turned and stared straight into him, a twisted smirk on his face.

            "James."