Diane Young [22]

22

School was due to start in a week and a half and I was busy getting ready for it. Elijah's visits had become less frequent, probably due to the fact he had to get back to school too. We went stationary shopping together and he convinced the shop assistant to let us take everything at half price.

If he were in Harry Potter, he'd be a full on Veela.

To be honest, I was quite giddy when it came to thinking about school. It was to be my last year and even though I'd miss it dearly, I honestly couldn't wait to leave the house and start anew somewhere in which nobody knew me. I wanted to be a free spirit, like the ones in the sixties or seventies. Free in the sense that there was nothing holding me back. Free without the drugs of course.

Elijah and I went out a week before school started. It was just a quick walk in the park with Dule, and we played on the swings and we were too tall for the monkey bars. I remember when I was a kid, hanging from these things were like swinging above an ominous pit of death. If I dropped, it was all over. But now I guess that being 5'9 meant that the ominous pit was just regular ground. Which sucked, but there wasn't much to be done about that.

"Do you think people in school will notice Ellie's gone?" Elijah asked me.

"She did have other friends at your school, right?"

"Loads. She was actually quite popular, most of the kids in our classes attended her funeral and looked quite upset." He said. "I guess they will."

I kept silent, wondering how different it'd be for Elijah in school. I didn't have the comfort of Ellie's presence in school, and only had a few friends, so I was used to not having her around. But she was his partner in crime, they did a lot together considering they were both eggheads together. At least, that's what she told me.

"Do you think you'd be able to swap schools this late on?" Elijah suddenly asked me.

"I guess but it's so awkward."

"What would you do if I did?"

"Probably nothing." He gave me an exasperated glare. "Okay, I'd try to be your crony but then all the girls in my school would probably be all over you."

His glare turned into a lopsided grin. "Don't be jealous, I wouldn't give them the time of day."

"You might have to if they ask you what time a certain one of your classes are."

"Technicalities," he dismissed and I laughed.

As we were walking and joking, I saw a familiar head bobbing in the distance. It was Mrs Winters and she was walking ahead of us holding her handbag precariously.

"Hey look, it's Ellie's mom." I said.

"Let's go say hi to her!"

Elijah grabbed my hand and started dragging me along to say hello to her. At one point, he shouted out her name and she stopped and turned around to greet us.

"Elijah West! Diane Young!" She gave us individual hugs that still smelled like roses and cheese and smiled. "How are you two?"

"Great, Mrs Winters, and yourself?"

"I'm good, I guess." She looked at my hand being held in Elijah's and grinned. "So when did this happen?"

"Huh? Oh no, he -"

"A while ago now." Elijah cut me off, tightening the grip on my hand. "Though she doesn't know it yet."

Mrs Winters laughed and I blinked, surprised at this sudden revelation.

"Oh to be young - literally for Diane. She'll always be a Young won't she?"

"I can probably fix that." Elijah said, his eyes shining. Mrs Winters squealed.

"You guys are very cute."

I was still very confused as Elijah continued to charm her in front of me. By now, you'd think I'd be used to it, but nobody could get used to him to be honest. He'd surprise you every step of the way.

"Elijah, can I borrow her for a little bit?" She said.

He nodded and she took me a little bit further away.

"So Diane, have you read the diary yet?" Mrs Winters asked me.

"Oh.. No. I don't want to invade the privacy."

She smiled, less enthusiastically than before. "Read it. I did and I think it's your turn."

"My turn? Does that mean I should give it to the others?"

"No, just you read it. I gave it to your because you were directly addressed inside it."

"Me? But why? I'm not that special."

She shook her head. "You are special, Diane. Even more so to Ellie." I nodded, unable to say anything. "You'll understand when you read it."

Then she gave me a hug and went to give Elijah a hug before leaving. Elijah came over to me and asked me what happened. He got slightly annoyed when I didn't tell him but after I kissed him he was okay for then.

We actually did something healthy and walked home, talking and holding hands. It was nice to hold Elijah's hands. The spaces in between his fingers were practically where mine fit perfectly. That made me so completely happy.

When he had said goodbye to me and my brother had unsuccessfully tried to intimidate him, I got Ellie's diary out of my book case.

And I started reading.