Diane Young [9]

9

I hadn't realised it before, but Elijah West was probably the most charismatic person I'd ever come across. He managed to singlehandedly charm the teenage shop assistant to make a dress for Dukey. While I stood there with a chameleon prowling over my head, he shamelessly flirted with her and practically turned her into jelly, all for the sake of a piece of fabric.

"She's completely taken by you." I noted when she was distracted by what outfit to get his 'bae'. He actually flipped his hair.

"Of course she is. Most people are."

Duke croaked as the shop assistant came back, a silly grin plastered on her face. In her hands was a shimmery blue material that looked suspiciously like the jumpers you'd put around a dog.

"So where's the chameleon?" She said, eyes trained on Elijah. He gestured at me, and I took it as my long awaited cue to hand him Dukerella.

"Can you cut it to size, then?" He said, fluttering his eyelids. I thought he looked very odd, but she started to fan her face.

"Of course, I can do it right now if you want me to!"

He grinned. "Thank you kindly."

She got scissors out from under the desk and started to cut the material down. Duke walked on the desk and Elijah turned to me with a smug look on his face.

"You're so odd." I said. He blinked back but then looked amused once more.

"I'd have to say you're the odd one, Diane Young."

"What? Tell me once when I've been odd in your presence."

"It all started during the funeral when you asked for my - wait for it - my hat. I haven't seen that hat however, what happened to it?"

"It's on my dresser, waiting for the first day of school." I said dryly.

"Exactly. And then you eat strawberries and crackers like no man's business as well as being a bit to fond of my chameleon and willingly feeding him bugs. That is very odd."

I shrugged. "Fair enough. But you're still stranger than me."

"But of course."

The dress was done within another ten minutes, and Elijah flirted with the assistant some more while I coaxed Dukey into it. If it was possible for a chameleon to smile, it was definitely what he was doing once he was in it. We paid for the dress, and some more food, then left.

"That was the first time I've ever done that." Elijah West said.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't normally go buy his clothes from a store. My grandma makes them."

"Why does your chameleon even have clothes?"

He gave me a look as if to say it was obvious. "Because he's singlehandedly the most fabulous chameleon this world has ever given way to? Wasn't it obvious?"

Duke, who had opted for Elijah's nest of hair instead of mine, made an agreeable sound. I apologised to them both for offending them.

We went to a small cafe to eat a very late lunch. I was glad because I'd probably just stay at home and do nothing by myself, but Elijah West was extremely good company (though I'd never admit that to his face, his ego is huge enough as it is).

"But my favourite thing in the world is banoffee pie." He muttered, glaring at the menu

"You want a dessert?" I frowned at him and Duke turned the colour of the table, a metallic blue.

"Duh? It's like four o clock. Four is the time for all things cake related. So which cake are you getting?"

I scanned my own menu. "I was going to get the mac and -"

"Something strawberry related, right?"

"No, the-"

"Fantastic!" He snatched the menu out of my hands and put them in front of him happily before making eye contact with a hovering waitress. "Hi there!"

"Hey, you ready to order?" She asked him, chewing on some gum. He flashed a lovely smile.

"Yes! Can we get a slice of banoffee pie, and one slice of Victoria sponge cake covered in cream and strawberries please?"

She wrote it down. "It'll be with you shortly."

"Thanks!"

At this moment, I was sure my mouth was slightly agape. He told me to close it before Duke gave me a French kiss.

"Why did you order for me?" I asked.

"Because you were going to do something silly and order Macaroni and Cheese instead of four o clock dessert. I saved you Diane Young, face it."

"Saved me from what? Proper nutrition?"

"No, from being normal."

I propped my arms on the table in front of us and rested my chin on my fists. "It's not bad being normal."

Elijah did something that surprised me next. He copied my body positioning and then met me at eye level before raising only one of his eyebrows.

"It may not be bad," he whispered. "But, Diane, it's no fun either."

"You just called me Diane." I said, too shocked to even fathom the moment. He just smirked, leant back and folded his arms.

"Ah, but Miss Young, even I am allowed my - oh, is that our order?"

The waitress who took our order came back holding two plates with food. Elijah took his pie with a smile that could've lit up the world for about two seconds. I just said thank you and dug in.

It was nice, covered in strawberries and sugary sweet. I could feel the cavities coming on as I took the first piece.

"Now aren't you glad that I ordered such a delicious cake for you?" He said once the pair of us were about halfway done.

"I'll be happier if you come with me to the dentist." I state dryly. He chuckled.

"We can schedule our cavity fillings together."

"Sounds good."