Diane Young [4]

4

When I was five, my dad took me to watch an opera. I don't even remember what the opera was about, but I knew I loved the music so much to the point I wanted to be a conductor. My parents settled for a violinist instead.

My dad's favourite song had been Vivaldi's Four Season's: Spring. I had so desperately wanted to play it for him, and almost got through the whole first part without faltering. But alas, he died before I could finish it and that dream was shattered.

My brother did make me play it at his memorial service though, which was hard because I was only nine and I cried my way through it. I cringe when I watch the home video, but honestly, it's not that bad. I managed to do it, but rather than being allegro, it was more moderato.

And since I'm on the topic of honesty, I'm a pretty good violinist.

About a day or two after the great chameleon search, I was playing my violin in the late morning, figuring that I wouldn't be annoying anyone. Especially since I was playing something I knew well enough.

It had probably been four minutes of me playing before I heard a really harsh and loud knock on the door. In my mind, I knew it was Elijah and Duke, for only he was bold enough to come knocking on my door in such a manner.

I opened the door, and he put Duke in his hair before barging in.

"Where's the stereo that was playing Bach?" He demanded.

"Stereo?"

"You know, a metal contraption in which - "

"I know what a stereo is. I was just wondering why you'd think it was a stereo playing the music and not someone live."

He looked around, seemingly shocked.I took this time to close the door. "Do you have a brother who is a musician?"

"Yes I have a brother, and yes he is a musician. And before you ask it, no, he plays the piano and it was me playing the Bach piece."

If possible, his shock grew. I wasn't sure whether to be offended that he was obviously surprised by the fact I played classical music, or to be a little bit flattered. Duke bleated in his hair and then started to change to the same shade of brown. It was very cool to watch him do so.

"You play the violin?!"

"Yes, I do."

"But you listen to Vampire Weekend and - and - San Cisco!"

Awkwardly, I scratched my head and then remembered Duke in his hair. He was completely brown now, and his tail was swinging around happily.

"Let me see this violin then." He demanded, and I went to my room to bring out my violin. Unlike most, it was made of very light wood and I always wondered where my mum had gotten it but never asked.

Elijah stood in shock.

"Play something?"

I plucked a few notes from The Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy before he believed me. He looked as though he were about to faint, and I had to lead him to sit down because I thought he might faint.

"You're a woman of many talents."

"You've only seen one of my so called talents." I rubbed my eyes.

"Not true! I've seen two! You made a mean cup of tea for me the other day. Now that is a skill."

"True that."

Duke suddenly jumped from Elijah's head and landed in his lap. I wondered if this was the only reason that they had come over, or if there was an ulterior motive. Then I remembered that Elijah always had an ulterior motive. He was ulteriorly motivated.

"Do you want a cup of tea?" I asked because I didn't know what else to say. He and his chameleon were playing with each other, in the same way one would play with a kitten.

"Cutie Dukey coo - No, I wouldn't like a cup of tea. I was actually going to ask you something very important, but then I heard Bach."

"Something very important." I repeated and he nodded.

"Yes! May I ask the very important question?"

"Yes, you may."

He cleared his throat and stood up. I half expected him to pull a trumpet out from his pocket and start a fanfare. His formalities never ceased.

"I, Elijah No - Middle - Name West, am inviting you, Diane - What's your middle name?"

"One of them is Anastasia,"

"I am inviting you, Diane Anastasia Young, to accompany me to the late Elizabeth Charlotte Winters home to say hello to her mother and eat lunch. Now, what do you say to that?"

"Sounds good."

He looked a little bit crestfallen at my very nonchalant answer, but he got over it within a matter of seconds and checked his watch.

"That's brilliant, let me just put Dukey Boo back in his habitat and you go put your instrument away and we'll be able to ride on out of here!"

"Okay."

He left with a firm nod and I 'put my instrument away' and then my Chuck Taylor's on. He came back five minutes later when I was brushing through my hair.

"Mrs Winters is expecting us." He said.

"Oh, really." I replied.

"Of course! Shall we go?!"

I grabbed my key and my jeans jacket from the coat rack. "We shall."

.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.

ok so this is a key of musical terms because I feel like someone will ask me what these words mean and I don't want to confuse anyone

allegro - quick and very lively way of playing music. approximately 120 - 168 beats per minute.

moderato - moderate way of playing music. approximately 108 - 120 beats per minute.

Bach - the king (a composer from the Baroque period, so approx. 1600 - 1750 )

The Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy - ok so everyone knows this one I'm guessing.. you know that song in The Nutcracker that's so jovial and fun yes that's it. It's by Tchaikovsky and it's probably one of the best songs on the planet