Diane Young [6]

6

Ellie's gravestone was still a shiny pristine grey, looking new and standing out compared to all the other graves. I sat down behind it and put my head between my knees, so out of breath and worn out from my impromptu run. The midday sun bore down it's bright rays on my skin and I coughed once before speaking to her.

"I met Tiffany today." I said.

Of course, she didn't reply to me, but I could imagine her reaction.

'You did? What did you think of her??' She would say, her blue eyes excited and wild. The thought almost made me break out into a smile. Almost.

"She doesn't like me. She was quite distant, actually. I don't know why, but maybe you need to watch who you befriend Ellie. I know you believed in reincarnation, so maybe in your next life."

I imagined her laughter filling the now empty silence around me and I felt my eyes start to well up with tears that I refused to let escape. No need crying, I told myself. No need at all.

"Why didn't you tell me what's up, Ellie?" I asked. "Why did you jump off the bridge instead of letting me know?"

My hands found themselves hugging my knees and I sort of shrank into myself further, not wanting to be noticed. I felt like a blade of grass among others; hard to see, easy to pluck out of what made it so grounded.

"I could've changed your mind. You wouldn't have felt so lonely. Neither of us would have."

I looked up and around, wondering if anyone was watching me. The cemetery was empty and bare, save for a few elderly people who were putting down flowers on gravestones.

And I wondered.

Isn't that the way it was supposed to be? We were supposed to grow old together and be angry at the younger generations, laugh like those little old ladies on the bus that gave out cough sweets and mints like they were pure gold. We were supposed to attend each other's wild parties, laugh and cry at the good and bad times, fight like maniacs but then make up over a cup of coffee in the early morning.

As all of these things drove through my mind, I started to cry. Because it dawned on me that I had lost my closest friend.

My best friend.

It's always refreshing to talk to your best friend, even when they're six feet under. As depressing as it sounds, it really does help. Because even though they're not directly with you, they're.. With you, like in spirit. I happen to be slightly religious, so I do believe in the idea that she's watching me from above.

After an hour or two of endless chatter, I went home. The bus journey was quieter, and I suddenly felt bad for leaving Elijah hanging at the lunch/ tea party thing we went to. It's not nice being left on your own during event such as these. And considering he didn't have Duke to humour him, he was probably feeling very lonely.

When I got to my stop, I was surprised to see Elijah sitting at the bus stop, arms folded and big aviator glasses covering his eyes.

"Elijah West?" I asked him, once I got off the bus. He stood up and we went into the apartment together.

"I'm disappointed in you, Diane Young." He muttered.

"You're what?"

"Disappointed." We got into the elevator and I pressed the button that led to our floor before answering him.

"Why?"

"Your attitude is unforgivable. First of all, you were a hermit for the whole gathering, only speaking when spoken to, and then you didn't even give Tiffany a chance."

Something in my mind snapped.

"I didn't give her a chance? As if I were given a chance?"

"You didn't. You just upped and left as soon as the conversation made you the slightest bit uncomfortable, which was quite silly of you, really. And then, like an angst ridden teenager, you ran away from any type of help that was being offered to you."

"What?!"

I looked at Elijah, disbelief flooding every limb in my body. He refused to face me and I could feel my blood start to boil.

"You-"

"No. You know what I did? I tried. I tried to blend into your conversation and be just peachy like you guys, but I'm not Duke and I never will have a chameleon soul. I just felt tired and uncomfortable and quite plainly unwanted by Tiffany so I didn't want to disturb you, therefore I left. And what a damn question for her to ask me?!"

"What - "

" 'Am I clinically depressed?!' Do you see me knocking back tablets any more?! She didn't even want to befriend me yet she asked me a question that hinted that she did and then questioned my knowledge of a girl she's known for a year and a half tops! I knew Ellie for at least double that time!"

"You don't even know Tiffany." He protested. I rolled my eyes and started to tap my foot.

"And she doesn't know me! She had no right to judge me right off the bat as she did. She had no right to dismiss me! And though I haven't judged her yet, judgement day will be upon us all someday soon."

The elevator doors pinged open and I marched out of there, feeling angered by his presence.

"Diane Young, don't start this walking away business again." He complained. I did not reply and instead closed the door behind me with a resounding and quite comforting bang.

an of some sorts;

yeah I know I don't normally put songs on the side, but I thought this one was quite fitting. I wrote this chapter to one of my monthly Michael Jackson raves hahah :'o