Diane Young [8]

8

Ellie once told me that death was the best and worst thing that could ever possibly happen. She was definitely more philosophical than I was at that age, so I just nodded along. I guess she realised that I didn't get it because she pushed me off a swing set. I scraped my knees that day and even though I was fifteen, it really hurt and I almost cried.

But now, I get it.

I'm very sad that she's dead. Her parents are extremely sad she's dead. Elijah West is really sad (though he doesn't know how to show it ( at least, that's what he claimed when he told me)). However, there's also a sense of relief, that's she's gone and there's one less person to worry about. I feel that makes me sound like a horrible person, but it's easier breathing without me worrying which one of us is going to top ourselves off first.

It's also kind of nice, having the memory of her. There are no bad things to remember - you can't straight up remember the bad things, she's dead, you just can't do that to a dead person. When asked about the Ellie shaped hole in my brain, of course I'll be more positive than negative, and that positivity has the ability to completely change my outlook on life. Not that it has done much yet.

One week later, I sit at Ellie's grave talking to her about the effects of her death on people. It has led me to making a new friend as well as losing one. It means I won't be without someone to talk to during the hard times. That's assuming Elijah becomes an easier person to talk to ( I doubt it, but I think I'll get used to it).

"It's sunny today, but there's still a chance of meatballs and - "

"Diane Young, can I have some time alone?"

I looked up from my cross legged position on the dirt behind Ellie's grave and see Elijah standing over, with a bunch of calla lilies and a somber expression on his face.

"As in you and El?"

"Yes, me and Ellie."

"Ok." I start to stand up and brush the dirt off my shorts quickly, before nodding at him and leaving to buy a strawberry milkshake from a cafe near the church. I see the preacher through the window while I'm sitting down, and he waves at me before passing on his way.

After twenty minutes, I return to Elijah and Ellie. I didn't mean to intrude on their conversation, but I hear the words:

" - you claim you trusted her the most, but you didn't even trust her with your biggest secret."

I take a few steps back so I can't hear anything else and wait for him to finish. About five minutes later, he stands up and brushes himself down like I had done before. He spotted me eating some saltine crackers and rolled his eyes.

"Your addiction to crackers is very worrying, Diane Young." He said.

"It's not that bad. At least I get some nutrition from them."

"Whatever. I was going to ask you to come to church with me."

"Church?"

"Yep." He popped the 'p'.

I shrugged and put my packet of crackers away. "Why not?"

He gives me a sly grin that I don't return and then drags me along inside the church.

The thing about churches, with me anyway, is the faith that you normally witness in them. You won't see that faith from a teacher in a classroom with the top students, nor with a swimmer in cold as ice water, but in a church? Faith overload (but I guess you'll see that faith with an astronaut going up into space. They have faith that the rocket will bring them back).

And it's nice.

But it's not just churches where you'll witness that. You can find it in a Synagogue, or in a Mosque. Faith is probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Either that or a blue and pink butterfly.

Most people believe I'm agnostic or atheist, but I am slowly edging towards Christianity. I hope. So when Elijah invited me into the church I irregularly attend, I was quite pleased.

"What's up?" I asked him. Most of the pews were empty, save for a few stragglers. I'm guessing because it wasn't a Sunday.

"Need to find.. Old lady..." He said, frowning and scanning through the people there before his eyes settled on one. "Do you think it'd be rude to interrupt someone's prayer?"

"Somewhat."

"Let's wait then."

We approached an old lady who was quite obviously praying and then waited for her to finish before we said anything. When she saw us, she smiled.

"Hello kids! What can I do for you?"

Elijah West looked very dissatisfied by her use of the word 'kids.' "Hi ma'am, I wanted to ask you a question for our HIGH SCHOOL survey." He said. I looked at him weirdly, and so did she.

"Oh, go on then."

"What do you think about homosexuality?"

She laughed. "Wasn't it Lady Lorde del Rey and the Diamonds who sang that song 'do what you want with your body?!' " she did a little jiggle to demonstrate. "Yes, I am a firm believer in that. I believe people should want to do what they want."

Elijah gave her a grin. "Thank you ma'am."

"Yes, thanks so much." I said also. She grinned back at the both of us and gave us each a warm hug.

"Was that all? Okay, then see you two around town!" She waved at us as we left.

On the bus ride home, I gave Elijah West a pointed look. "Why did we have to go to the church?"

He stared at me with this strange glint in his eyes. "Do you think Dukey toots will like a new dress?"

"Yes, but -"

"Time to get off the bus and get him for his fitting, then!" He pressed the buzzer and I hadn't realised that we were already nearly there.

We went upstairs and he went to retrieve Duke while I went to eat a strawberry or seven. After he knocked on my door and told me we had to go to the pet shop, I fed a dried up grasshopper to Duke and Elijah put him in his hair, then off we went.

"I think my baby has gotten much closer to you." Elijah commented when we were on the bus once more.

"Huh? Oh, okay."

"I'm serious."

"I thought you were. Didn't say you weren't."

Elijah folded his arms and pursed his lips. "At the rate in which he is getting fond of you, I might have to give him to you so he'll be happier."

I made an unattractive snorting sound, which earned me a strange look, not only from Elijah West, but from the lady sitting in front of us. "Why would you even do that?"

"Because when you love something, you must let it go."

Ironically at that moment, Duke jumped from Elijah's head to mine, and started to crawl down to my shoulders. I wondered if there was a rule against having a chameleon on the bus.

"See?" He shielded his eyes with his left hands.

Dukey stuck his tongue in my ear.

A/N:

YES I'M SORRY TO PLAY THE RELIGION CARD

If you're not comfortable with this, there's only one small religious encounter left in the story, and I don't want to, like, discomfort you guys, so if you avoid this story like you'd avoid Dukerella's tongue, I won't be offended, angry etc. Its your choice do what you want with your body as Lady Lorde del Rey and the Diamonds sang

there's also a very big chance there will be another update today idk