Diane Young [1]

1

Ellie said we'd be friends forever, but then she jumped off a bridge.

When we met, we were both sullen thirteen year old's going through erratic episodes of depression. My mother had forced me to attend a support group, saying it would do well for me to have help from someone who understood what it was. I knew that was just code talk for 'I don't want to see you moping around the house all summer'. Ellie had joined the group on her own accord, wearing scars on her wrists with pride and endearment, the way one would wear a gold bracelet. I had sat next to her on the first session - not because I wanted to - and she boldly wore a short sleeved t shirt to sort of... show them off.

She asked me if I thought I was depressed and I told her I was more of a melancholy person. She didn't know what it meant and I made no move to explain it to her, but it was the beginnings of an admittedly very rocky but precious friendship.

Every time I think about the whole issue, I feel sick to my stomach. I was her best friend, her only friend. We didn't attend the same high school so I didn't really know what went on in her life. She told me things, sure, but she didn't tell me about the bullying or the unhappiness she felt. She made up lies to cover the truth, until the truth got her thinking that the only way she could be happy was if she ended it.

I received the voice mail at exactly eight thirty. It was twilight, Ellie's favourite time of day. I tried my hardest to get out and save her, but it was too late. By the time I reached the bridge, it was ten to nine and her body was mangled on the side of the river.

The doctor said the impact killed her, and by the positioning of her eyes, the last thing she saw was the sun.

.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

'Sup guys

So this is my Camp NaNoWriMo for July 2014. I did one for April, but I never reached my target but I was a few words off it. I have more time this year so I'm gonna hopefully reach the goal word count (30000 - blergh)! Wish me luck, I guess :)