A moment

“I know,” he began, his arms hugging his legs closely to his chest; eyes staring into the lovely artificial eyes he’s spent countless hours looking into, “I haven’t done this since Mavis got married, but…” somehow, it wasn’t the same. The eyecolor was the same, and the expression was just as warm as the real thing, he remembered. And oh, he remembered.

But the painting lacked… that certain something her eyes had once held – beautiful, drawing him in like a magnet and wrapping his heart in a much needed gentle embrace.

  The room was dark; not even candles had been lit, and yet Dracula could see perfectly. His eyes glowed a faint hue of blue in the pitch-blackness of the room as he sat uncomfortably on the floor, talking to someone who wasn’t really there.

  “… But I just had to say something. I uh. I met – someone.” Inwardly, he winced a little; glanced downwards. “Mavy thought it’d be a good idea for us to go out on vacation for once – and well, as you could imagine, I wasn’t really that excited at first. But it was kind of fun, I guess. We went out on this – cruise ship.” A pause, his pale lips twitched. “I know; me, on a boat. Yes, that’s… very funny, Martha,” the last part was said more quietly, a dull and persistent pain creeping into his chest.

  “I zinged,” he blurted out after a long silence had passed, and somehow, he felt a weigh being lifted off his shoulders. “With the captain. Her name is… Ericka. Ericka Van Helsing.” Dracula frowned. “Yes, I know how that sounds – that man was crazy. He’s still alive, by the way. Somehow. But she’s… nice. And she’s not going to hurt me, I’m fine.

  "She’s very kind and clever. Mavis and her are getting along pretty well. But – don’t get me wrong, honey. I… I still miss you a lot. I just had to – move on. Frank said it wasn’t good for me, so I tried. It didn’t feel as bad as I’d thought – taking off the… our wedding ring. It’s been a very long time, and it wasn’t making me feel any good.” A long sigh escaped from inside his lungs. “I’m… I’m sorry. But I’m sure you would’ve wanted me to be happy. Wouldn’t you?

  "He tried to kill us in Atlantis – her gread-grandfather. Almost succeeded, until she saved me. She saved all of us, monsters. And… yeah, Johnny did, too.” A ghost of a smile made its way onto his facial features, and the vampire shook his head. “Mavis is very happy with him; oh, you would be so proud of her. She’s grown up so much, our little baby.

  "Oh, I’m a grandfather now! I forgot to tell. We are… both grandparents, darling. His name is Dennis. He has all this – red curly hair on his little head, just like his own dad. But he’s a vampire. Not that it matters, of course, but he got his fangs on his fifth birthday! He’s a very sweet kid.” His smile had widened tenfold, to the point he was actually grinning now; his long fangs peeking from behind his lips.

  Then, a noise. His sensitive ears picked up a barely noticeable sound coming from the closed door a few metres away from where he sat. His smile fell, and his brows furrowed into a frown, his head cocking to one side in curiosity and in order to hear better.

———-

  Outside, Ericka was feeling conflicted; her small hand covered her mouth as she tried to carefully listen in to what her boyfriend (was that the correct term?) spoke to his deceased wife. A cocktel of emotions swirled in the pit of her stomach: jealousy, sadness, pity, guilt.

  What should she do? Should she dare say something? The human wondered if Drac could even hear her breathing from out here, for what something all these years of studying his kind had taught her, was that their senses were much more developed than hers. But maybe not.