Chapter 23. Redemtion.

Petra's POV.

The scream was so loud that I had to cover my ears. At this point I was sure they were bleeding, but, honestly, I couldn't care less.
- What... - I barely heard Xara's whisper, which was full of some unknown emotion; something, that I've never heard in her voice ever before.

A little bit disoriented, I managed to look up, beyond the invisible wall that was keeping me in place. Something very, very wrong wrong was going on there, and my mind didn't seem to be able to process everything.
I saw Jesse. He was laying on the ground, looking a thousand times worse than I felt. But... What was it?!

With my heart hardly beating at all, I was staring at my best friend. He wasn't moving, he wasn't breathing - but the deadly mist has started to slowly disappear, igniting a weak spark of hope inside my chest. What had happened?! What?!

There was a lot of blood. It covered the entire glade, blood was on every leaf and on every blade of grass, there was so much of it, that it was undoubtably: whoever this blood belonged to, they couldn't possibly survive. But Jesse didn't seem to be dying, and he was the only one out there who was bleeding! How could he lose so much blood and still hang on for his life?! Any human, no, any creature would've died ten minutes ago! So how was Jesse still fighting?

Maybe, it wasn't his blood?

My eyes widened as I looked a little bit left. The Admin was standing there, expression of utter shock and confusion on his face and... A large, bleeding hole in his stomach.

His once perfectly black and red robes were soaked in his own scarlet blood, even his ash-like gray skin became paler. The monster looked at his hands, drops of crimson liquid falling down from them, and trembled a little.
- Impossible? - He whispered and looked up, his fiery eyes burning my skin.

The second he looked to the side, only then I became fully aware of my surroundings. My ears, hurt beyond explaining, heard a quick breathing, and I slowly turned around. I wasn't actually sure I wanted to see what was going on in there, but my mind simply refused to believe anything at this point. It felt like the most improbable dream, and I thought-hoped-wished I would wake up in my own cozy bed, with everything going the way it was supposed to.

But it surely wasn't a dream. Never, not even in my worst nightmares, have I seen anything like this.
- No. - Xara gasped, her orange jumpsuit covered in drops of blood, and her bow... Her bow was in front of her, completely pierced through Romeo's stomach so that its tip cut through the back of the male.

In horror, I watched him and the Admin falling down on their knees in union, the precious liquid pouring out of their wounds turning everything crimson red.
- No! - The Admin screeched, his words silenced by his cough as he tried to heal himself without avail. Xara flinched back, almost dropping the bloody weapon, as Romeo, barely breathing, slid down and fell on the ground.

There was no word, no thought, no sound as two bodies of my worst enemy disappeared, leaving behind blood as the only reminder of them. Nobody moved, nobody breathed, all the gazes were locked on the places where - only a second ago - there used to be two corpses. The time itself seemed to be frozen, not able to quiet understand what was going on.

Then, in one movement, Xara fell on her knees, her eyes wider than any time else. Her hand pressed against her mouth, she was staring at the ground, that was still a little but warm. She shook her head slightly, and blinked furiously, as if hoping to wake up.

Wake up. Wake up. Wake up.

- Petra! - Somebody grabbed my arm and yanked me away from Xara, away from the puddle of blood that had been a breathing human only some moments ago. With every bit of strengh I had left, I managed to turn my head, only to meet with Jack's worried eye. Have the barriers disappeared?
- Something's wrong with Jesse! - He whispered desperately, still dragging me somewhere. - Come on!