Chapter 21. ... now you don't.

Jesse's POV

I looked at Romeo. At how scared, how scarred and fragile he looked, at how his grey eyes flashed with sadness when Xara walked away on him. At how he didn't have enough strengh to move in any way apart from sitting up, at how he hung his head low... And that's when it hit me, hit me so much that I even flinched as the realisation stroke through my entire body.

I couldn't hate him anymore.

I was staring at him, frozen in confusion. Why?! I had seen him imprisoning and manipulating people, I had seen him turning a beautiful world into a nightmare. Heck, I had seen him blowing up an entire city just to make a point! So why?! Why couldn't I hate him?! Was there something wrong with me?

- Jesse? - Petra carefully put a hand on my shoulder, her brown eyes full of worry. I stared at her for barely a second, feeling a hurricane of different emotions stirring inside me. Fear, anger, frustration, depression, sadness, relief, shock... They were making me want to explode, making me want to either scream as loud as possible or to cower in a corner and curl in a ball. So I did the most normal thing I could think of.

I suddenly hugged Petra, feeling her warm and gentle arms hugging me back. Her soft hair felt amazing against my skin, as I breathed in her marvelous scent. It seemed to calm me down a lot, along with her hand slowly petting my back. She went on again and again and again, and at one point I felt her fingers in my hair. And that moment the tingling sensation spread through my spine, wrapping some warmth around my heart. It was the same feeling that I had hated so much, only now I actually welcomed it. This time it was coming from Petra.

- Fight on just a little while longer. - She whispered in my ear. - Everything will be alright, Jesse.
- How can you be so sure? - I let go of her and was now staring in her chocolate eyes, in which I could drown easily. - It's not like everything will become perfect by a miracle of some sort.
- That's true. - She nodded. - But we'll make it through. We always do. Besides, the Admin has to have some weakness.

- He doesn't.

I looked at Romeo. He was staring on the ground, a sad smile on his face.
- Do you still not get it? - He raised an eyebrow, not daring to look up. - He is the power itself, he doesn't have any weak spot. Every weakness he once had is in me now.
- So what?! - Petra snapped, obviously irritated by Romeo's pessimism. - If I have to, I'll just stab him to death! Nobody can survive that!

- I doubt you can even hurt him. - He shook his head, hanging it even lower than before. - He's omnipotent. Highly likely invincible.
I think I wanted to say something, when Radar suddenly called me. Petra nodded and smiled friendly, as if telling me to go check on my intern.
- Aren't you coming with? - I smiled back.
- Nah. - She shook her head, glancing at Romeo in fury. - I'll keep an eye on him.

The man only sighed deeply at those words but didn't say a thing. I wasn't sure he could cause any trouble now, so weak and barely able to sit, but decided not to argue about this.
Jack, Lukas and Radar were all sitting around Daizy, while Xara was standing there, leaning against the tree. She tried not to even look in Romeo's direction, which made the whole situation really tense.

As soon as I came closer, I instantly found out what was wrong. Daizy was awake, but was sitting on the ground, curled in a ball and hiding her head between her knees. Three men desperately tried to calm her down, but it only caused the girl to squeak in terror and start shaking. The purple-headed woman scoffed and rolled her eyes as I approached them.
- We don't know what's goin' on. - Jack confessed. - She just woke up and then started tremblin'...
- We've tried to talk to her, - Lukas nodded. - But it only made everything worse.