He Hated Me First

He Hated Me First

“Leave me the hell alone, Derek!”

“Shut the fuck up!”

“Shut the fuck up!”

“Jamie, he’s copying me again!”

I glare at Derek, putting my hands on my hips, which he mimics. Trying to trick him, I say, “I’m stupid!”

“You’re stupid!”

I point at him, an smug grin on my face, “Ha! You didn’t copy me!”

“Ha! You didn’t copy me!”

I sigh in exasperation, smacking a hand to my face, Derek doing the same. Derek isn’t one of my friends. Or family. Or acquaintance. Or neighbor. Or pet.

He’s my enemy.

Worst enemy.

Ever.

I’ve known Derek for about five years now, ever since we were thirteen. Now we’re 18, and my best friend Jamie is still dating her boyfriend, Luke. They actually started dating when they were fifteen, but I’ve know Derek just from around school. Derek is Luke’s best friend, so I’m technically stuck with him.

Now, I had no problem with Derek whatsoever. I thought he was awesome, had a small crush on him when we were finally introduced at age 15. But the only reason I started to hate him, was because he hated me first.

Simple as that.

He took one look at me and called me a bitch. I’m serious. As I passed my shocked state, I called him a not-so-nice name back. So I guess that’s how he ended up with a black eye the first week I met him.

Jamie takes one look at us and then snuggles back into Luke’s arm. “Shut the hell up, you two. We’re trying to watch a movie…!” To emphasis this, she points to the TV, which has the Hangover Part 2 flashing around the screen.

“But-”

“No buts, Ellie. Now hush and watch the damn movie.”

Right now, we’re in my living room, Luke and Jamie watching the movie. Leftover popcorn sits on the coffee table, and a dark blue blanket is covering them. Luke has his arm slung across Jamie’s back, his dirty blonde hair spiked up. Jamie’s brown hair is piled into a messy bun, her eyes fixed on the TV in front of her.

Derek and I already saw this movie, so we got bored. Which leads us back to why he’s copying me.