Finding Out The Mystery Boy's Secret

What...what is this? I don't even know. Some parts are good, some are bleh. And I can't stand the ending, but some part of me is in love with it. -_-

14 Years

My eyes wonder around the homeroom aimlessly. A pencil is bobbing up and down in my right hand. Homeroom is always boring, especially on the first day of 8th grade. All the girls are chattering away excitedly about things I couldn’t care less about. The teacher is doing role call, and then after we’d do a dumb questionnaire to get to know more about the kids in my class.

“Jason?” The teacher calls.

“Here!”

“Alex?”

“Here!”

“Sindy?”

“Here.”

At that moment, a kid with tan colored hair comes busting through the door. All eyes flicker to him. I could tell he’s flustered. His green eyes immediately swim to the teacher’s with apologies on the tip of his tongue. 

The mean old bat lowers her glasses. “You’re late.”

“I know,” He says dumbly. An early bloomer with a smooth, almost deep voice. “I didn’t mean to…my alarm…”

“Sit down,” The teacher hisses. He doesn’t need to hear that twice. He takes the only seat that’s open; the seat to the right of me.

The teacher continued role call as I started sneaking glances at the mystery kid next to me. He’s definitely new to the school. In all the three years I’ve been here, I haven’t seen him once. “Tanner?”

“Here!” The boy says, waving his hand up in the air.

She gives him narrowed eyes in return. She goes to the next name. “Grace?”

“Here,” I say politely, giving her a short nod. Tanner looks over at me and I look towards him. His green eyes widen and something flashes inside. I don’t understand what it was. It made no sense. Eyes don’t flash. I feel embarrassed for some reason. I’m not sure what I did. I clear my throat, snapping my eyes back to the teacher. Only he doesn’t do the same. He just keeps staring at me.

Finally, I can’t take it anymore. My head snaps back to him. “What?”

He blinks, as if he doesn’t understand why I was talking to him in the first place. “What?”

“Why are you staring at me?”

“Oh,” He gives a sheepish look. “Nothing. Sorry.”