Just for Halloween

So...this was suppose to be my Halloween oneshot...it's just that I forgot to post it yesterday. I'm always late with these kinds of things. Here you go:

Just For Halloween

“Trick or treat!”

I crack a smile at the pair. They’re both little boys, dressed like Spongebob and Patrick. Each of them have a pillow case, fairly filled. I glance behind them to see their parents smiling down at them.

“Hi there,” I grin, grabbing my Halloween candy. 

I usually go all out for Halloween. My parents aren’t very fond of the holiday, but it’s my favorite. I decorate the house in different decorations each year. I don’t get the cheap candy like lollipops and caramels you’ve never heard of it before. I go to the store, find the good candy, and then mix a huge bowl of it when I get home.

I hold the bowl out to the little kids. They’re eyes widen at all of the possibilities. “Grab a handful. I love your guys’ costumes.”

The one on the right giggles. “Thanks. I like yours too.”

I smile as they both reach for some candy. I usually go all out with my costume, too. This year, I’m Katniss Everdeen. I picked her because I look like her; same brown hair and grey eyes. So I went around and found some boots, a leather jacket, and some beige pants. I put my hair into braid and found a Mockingjay pin and a bow and arrow. 

“Happy Halloween!” I call after them and shut the door. I place the bowl of candy back on the kitchen table, then go back onto the couch and to finish my movie. I’m watching the first Halloween movie. I’m almost halfway through it, but I keep having to pause it to hand out candy. But I don’t mind.

The doorbell rings again, so I pause my movie and grasp the Halloween bowl of candy and rush over to the door. I swing the door open, cracking a smile. “Happy - Jax?”

He grins, plucking a Midnight Milky Way mini bar from the candy bowl. “Trick or treat.”

I scowl, taking the bowl away from him. “Those are for the kids…what are you doing here?”

Jax shrugs, wiping his brunette hair off his forehead. “Came to see you.”

I tilt my chin up. “No, the only reason you’re here is because you don’t want me to be alone on Halloween night.” It’s true; my parents went out for the whole night, probably not coming back till morning. “I’m fine by myself.”

“No you’re not,” He states seriously. “What if you answered the door and an axe murder came out of nowhere?”

“And you’d be able to stop them?” I retort, giving him a look.

He juts his chest out. “I’d protect you.”

“Protect my ass,” I mutter, turning around, leaving him on my doorstep. He invites himself in and follows me to my living room. I’ve known Jax since my freshman year; we’re not that close of friends, but we do talk a lot. He’s on the football team and cross country. I really don’t know how we’re friends; I guess I found him through my other friends.